Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 6b "Final Polish"
I'm on the contrary here - I think the delay on the sax sounds confusing, and takes away the "to the pointness" of the tune. Same with the fx on the EP - IMHO
(17-11-2017, 07:43 PM)jakobole Wrote: I'm on the contrary here - I think the delay on the sax sounds confusing, and takes away the "to the pointness" of the tune. Same with the fx on the EP - IMHO

Understood. It was a creative decision I made to enhance the drive and canter of the arrangement. Pointiness was the point (counter-punctual) I believe is what I was after with it. It was sure fun to play with.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Oh, I understand! It's indeed a nice idea, I just don't think its - whats the word - apt / fitting for the tune. But again - it's IMHO, and that is like rear-ends, y'know Smile
(17-11-2017, 09:30 PM)jakobole Wrote: Oh, I understand! It's indeed a nice idea, I just don't think its - whats the word - apt / fitting for the tune. But again - it's IMHO, and that is like rear-ends, y'know Smile

Cool
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks for feedback! Listened version 6b. I'd perhaps take the overheads (perc at least) down a bit, or narrow their width. You have a very nice focused stereo image and some nice L/R effects, but then some elements start to jump out of the speakers panorama. The type of sound would probably suit some synthetic effects, but it's bit disturbing for 'natural' percussions. The drums and bass generally sound very good. And the effect works gives the mix nice life. Great work! ^_^
(24-11-2017, 03:16 PM)kapu Wrote: Thanks for feedback! Listened version 6b. I'd perhaps take the overheads (perc at least) down a bit, or narrow their width. You have a very nice focused stereo image and some nice L/R effects, but then some elements start to jump out of the speakers panorama. The type of sound would probably suit some synthetic effects, but it's bit disturbing for 'natural' percussions. The drums and bass generally sound very good. And the effect works gives the mix nice life. Great work! ^_^

Hey Kapu,
You touched something here. For me, a piece like this one does not touch reality for the most part. It is a fanciful tone and rhythm play. Enhancing or altering or even creating ones own reality for this composition is part of the creative process somewhat unique to this piece. Getting things to jump out of the panorama of the speakers is a wonderful compliment for me. Playing with presence and perspective and the creation of depth and movement and space, real or unreal, is all part of the fun, right? Especially in an arrangement like this one. I actually did play with the focus of the percussion using a binaural pan control but it fit best to my ear fully open. If I recall there was a stereo overhead and a mono mic in that group.

Thanks again for your input and perspectives.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi! Very interesting mix with a lot of nice effects!
For me, the reverb on the bassdrum at the beginning could have a (higher) highpass and the pan of the Sax+Delay is too wide.
(29-11-2017, 08:45 PM)jphrameau Wrote: Hi! Very interesting mix with a lot of nice effects!
For me, the reverb on the bassdrum at the beginning could have a (higher) highpass and the pan of the Sax+Delay is too wide.

Guido,
Thanks for the input. I will look at your suggestion on the hi-pass on the kick verb. It might help tighten things up a bit more. Thanks for that.

There are actually three pans on the delays for the sax sections, R,L & C. There is a stereo ping-pong going on with the delays so if it was panned center the input would put echo one-right, echo two-center and echo three-left. However, I have panned the delay output hard right which results in the delay being echo one-right, echo two-center, echo three-muted. The muted space is then taken by the next played note of the sax which is panned hard left. That's for the first sax section. In the second section, the process is reversed. Those are the subtle changes I love to make in some of my mixes. It is something I have copped from musicians from Rickie Lee Jones, to Hughey Lewis. Subtle but recognizable variations to repeated phrases. As for the extreme placement, it was necessary for even distribution of the ping-ponged echos plus I liked the way it jumped away from the sound field. And it looked really cool as a Lissijou pattern (phase meter)! I tend to mix visually so think of someone doing interpretive dance to this.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
6b is too mono and up the middle for me and would benefit from some soundstaging and placement. The sax, flute, keyboard are all central in the image you are presenting. You;ve done a good job to explore creativity with the sax though I'd be mindful of the things going on around it. There's a shaker panning all over the place for example. Changing one thing affects all others. It's a mantra I've discovered the painful way.

Percussion mixes in with the drums and makes an overly busy and confusing delivery. I think that's a tricky one to deal with. I'm therefore not sure what you want my ear to focus on because it's all after my attention.

The flute loses some notes around 1'00. I chose to fix the sour note as well as the keyboard, which dropped out of the groove at one point.

It's a mix I can tell you had some fun with. Well done for trying some fresh ideas.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(30-11-2017, 02:15 PM)Monk Wrote: 6b is too mono and up the middle for me and would benefit from some soundstaging and placement. The sax, flute, keyboard are all central in the image you are presenting. You;ve done a good job to explore creativity with the sax though I'd be mindful of the things going on around it. There's a shaker panning all over the place for example. Changing one thing affects all others. It's a mantra I've discovered the painful way.

Percussion mixes in with the drums and makes an overly busy and confusing delivery. I think that's a tricky one to deal with. I'm therefore not sure what you want my ear to focus on because it's all after my attention.

The flute loses some notes around 1'00. I chose to fix the sour note as well as the keyboard, which dropped out of the groove at one point.

It's a mix I can tell you had some fun with. Well done for trying some fresh ideas.

I think you are writing about someone else's mix. Mono is not how I would express any of my mixes of this piece. Are you sure you are making comments about my mix? I'm sorry you could not figure out what to listen to in my mix and that it confused your ear. Maybe I should have concentrated focus on the lead vocal. Oops. I almost forget. There ain't one. Just lots of percussive sounds moving around a sound field in a heavily syncopated pattern. No reality to be found here. What reality were you presenting in your mix?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]