Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 6b "Final Polish"
(13-11-2017, 06:30 AM)Rook Wrote: Really nice mix. That thunderous kick in the intro is awesome! Some minor tweaks I might try is roiling off a very slight amount of low end from the bass and adding some distortion to the bass in the upper mid area. Nice work.

Hi there , although I agree about the suggested HP filter, I do not understand your advise on "adding some distortion to the bass". The amp part of the bass guitar recording has already way to much drive/distortion to my taste!?
Best regards
(13-11-2017, 06:30 AM)Rook Wrote: Really nice mix. That thunderous kick in the intro is awesome! Some minor tweaks I might try is roiling off a very slight amount of low end from the bass and adding some distortion to the bass in the upper mid area. Nice work.

Thanks for your comments. There was a preponderance of low end in Pass 5 due to a change I made to my subs. I adjusted and made some other tweaks as well in Pass 6. Your suggestion for added distortion on the bass is a valid one and one I tried in various forms ending up with some tube drive to give the added bite I was seeking. I'd like to hear your idea on it. Are you going to post on this one?

MITC
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(13-11-2017, 08:14 AM)sgwork Wrote:

Hi there , although I agree about the suggested HP filter, I do not understand your advise on "adding some distortion to the bass". The amp part of the bass guitar recording has already way to much drive/distortion to my taste!?
Best regards

I agree too on the low end which has been addressed in Pass 6. Take a listen. Adding some character to the bass with distortion is something I looked into and decided on some tube drive to reach the texture I was looking for. I mixed in the distorted bass line as well to add some grit.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(09-11-2017, 05:56 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Hey community,
Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 1
11/8/2017

This song calls for all kinds of fun stuff. But before I get to that I am putting up this base mix. No special effects and little processing. Since this was printed with lots of effects there were only a few instruments to really play with, which I will hopefully get to later.

I look forward to comments and listening to other's takes on this cool flail.

Happy listening,
MITC

Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 5
11/11/2017

So after spending a considerable amount of time on this wonderful arrangement, I concluded it was just a really cool bass line punctuated by some great rhythm parts and a sax solo tagged on at the end.

As a result I approached all melodic instruments as rhythm parts. With the tempo and content and the movement in the percussion and drums I kept that theme going with effects to enhance the bounce of the song. I know some will not like it, but keep an open mind.

I tried not to do too much 2 buss and mastering compression as I found it could not carry the depth and transient response I was looking for. For that reason I'd suggest turning it up some.

If there is anything missing it would be some tone play flitting about during the conga break. If anyone has put something together for that section I'd love to add it to my mix.

As always, everyone's valuable comments, suggestions, questions are greatly appreciated.

PS: It may be a bit bass heavy as I modified my sub position and balance a few days ago.

Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 6
11/13/2017

That sub adjustment ended up being a bad direction so I adjusted again and tweaked the bass heavy Pass 5 to this version. Did some other tonal adjustments and cleaning of some sends. I'm pretty happy with it and it makes my butt shimmy some, which is what this song is all about.

Enjoy...

About Pass 6 - Interesting mix production choices to make rather boring stuff sound very good [;-)] and I really love your bass guitar approach, excellent.
I enjoyed listening!
Thanks so much. I worked very hard on the bass and the environment
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
If there is a better mix to be had, I'm not sure how to get there.... Bass sounds great now.

I intend to give this one a shot if time permits....very hectic week ahead.

Congrats on a great mix.

(13-11-2017, 02:16 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

Thanks for your comments. There was a preponderance of low end in Pass 5 due to a change I made to my subs. I adjusted and made some other tweaks as well in Pass 6. Your suggestion for added distortion on the bass is a valid one and one I tried in various forms ending up with some tube drive to give the added bite I was seeking. I'd like to hear your idea on it. Are you going to post on this one?

MITC

sgwork

I had not imported the tracks prior to posting these comments. When I did listen shortly afterwards, I thought there was something wrong with my monitors.....haha....then I realized "there's the bass distortion"! Definitely too much on the individual track, but mixinthecloud nailed the bass treatment in pass 6 IMO.

Best

(13-11-2017, 08:14 AM)sgwork Wrote:

Best regards

(14-11-2017, 06:24 AM)Rook Wrote: If there is a better mix to be had, I'm not sure how to get there.... Bass sounds great now.

I intend to give this one a shot if time permits....very hectic week ahead.

Congrats on a great mix.

Thanks for the kind comments. I look forward to hearing your take.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I love the edits on the flute parts! I always like to get surprised. Awesome the delay effect on the sax . Steady balance and nothing jumps out in a negative way. Solid bass and nice ideas bringing details that are lost or hidden inside the tracks. Cheers!!!
(15-11-2017, 12:56 AM)javierpg84 Wrote: I love the edits on the flute parts! I always like to get surprised. Awesome the delay effect on the sax . Steady balance and nothing jumps out in a negative way. Solid bass and nice ideas bringing details that are lost or hidden inside the tracks. Cheers!!!

Thanks so much. I tried to wring every last ounce of tone and character I knew how to out of my mix. It is rewarding to know that it came across well.
It was fun automating the moves in this.
Again, thanks for the comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]