Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 6b "Final Polish"
Quote:I think you are writing about someone else's mix. Mono is not how I would express any of my mixes of this piece. Are you sure you are making comments about my mix?

Listening to the mid sides confirms. The keyboard as an example, is centre, dry, with no stereo reverb. It's mid (mono), phantom centre. The flute and sax without the fx, are also mid. Mid is the same as mono.

Quote:I'm sorry you could not figure out what to listen to in my mix and that it confused your ear. Maybe I should have concentrated focus on the lead vocal. Oops. I almost forget. There ain't one. Just lots of percussive sounds moving around a sound field in a heavily syncopated pattern. No reality to be found here.

It gets a bit busy, that's all I'm saying. If busy is what you are looking for in your vision, go for it. It's an observation, not a judgement. I thought it would be useful feedback for you.

Kapu has also made a similar comment about the percussion, and without being nuked. So for goodness sakes relax man, and love thy neighbour. You have no reason to get defensive. Now, lets' get mixing!

Quote:What reality were you presenting in your mix?

Everything but reality. Though I did get separation with the percussion and drums because that was important to me. So too was their depth and placement in the soundstage.

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(30-11-2017, 06:05 PM)Monk Wrote:
Quote:Listening to the mid sides confirms. The keyboard as an example, is centre, dry, with no stereo reverb. It's mid (mono), phantom centre. The flute and sax without the fx, are also mid. Mid is the same as mono.

Sorry for nuking you. It was not my intention to put you off.
I appreciate the effort you put into your critiques. Analyzing the mid-side content of my mix is well above and beyond.

Technology aside, it is all about how it makes you feel or move. Right?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Nicely sounding balanced mix in terms or frequency response (not too much bass or not enough mids), touch of dryness, ''roominess'' around 350 Hz gives interesting feel.
Bass drum sounds fairly natural as possible (similar to omni knee mic position) with considerably appropriate use of reverb (had to use heavily low-passed reverb on mine in order to avoid cheapness and unnaturalness).
Reverb on drums at 3:00 feels a bit too epic (90's techno or folk like style). Long delay or auto-panning on sax might be a bit too disorienting.
(17-12-2017, 01:40 AM)sysrq Wrote: Nicely sounding balanced mix in terms or frequency response (not too much bass or not enough mids), touch of dryness, ''roominess'' around 350 Hz gives interesting feel.
Bass drum sounds fairly natural as possible (similar to omni knee mic position) with considerably appropriate use of reverb (had to use heavily low-passed reverb on mine in order to avoid cheapness and unnaturalness).
Reverb on drums at 3:00 feels a bit too epic (90's techno or folk like style). Long delay or auto-panning on sax might be a bit too disorienting.

Thanks for your comments. I think if you were listening to this song for the first time, disorientation may not be the consequence of the ping ponged panning of the sax and flute. My aim was a counter-punctual bounce to the sax. Since there is so much movement of the percussion, I treated the sax similarly.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Agree with most of the comments before in awe of the clearness and articulation you got off that bass, I didn't think that could be done with that gritty recording.
I'm also impressed with how much detailed you made those percussion parts. Listening with a pair of ATH-M50x's and it's like been in the middle of the kit.
If only, methinks the sax solo part could have been more out there, instead it feels a little shy, especially after those huge and wet kickdrum hits preceding.