Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember Jones: 'Don't Put Me On Hold' (critiques plz)
Hey peoples,

this is my take on this great song. This is not the most natural sounding mix, but thats not what I was going for. Hope you like it Big Grin

Please remember to comment and critique.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

.mp3    RememberJones_DontPutMeOnHold_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.59 MB)

Lukas,
Very nicely crafted. Your toms are wonderful. A couple of things I'd change:
Guitars may be too present and not well integrated into the ensemble behind the vocal. As a result the vocal is fighting the guitars. They also mask the horns. Listening to the raw guitar tracks makes you think, hey, these are not prime time players or sounds here. This led me to de-emphasize the guitars into ensemble texture and rhythm driver more so than a distinct (or two) parts. Automation can boost when necessary to carry a melodic phrase or bridge.
On the toms, there is a ring to the upper tom which to me (as I know it is there) is distracting and carries over almost into a reverb effect (but is NOT).

At times through the song the drums lose their definition, which happened to me too. It has got to be because of the ensemble dynamics which I haven't quite figured out yet. The biggest weirdness is after that little Piano riff into the drum figure and then back to the verse. Something kind of collapses there and it almost feels like the singer is surprised he is supposed to sing.

Anyway, good work.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thank you a lot for your comment Big Grin

As for the Guitars, I kinda like them but will pull them back a bit a few db. (I'm a guitar player xD)

I have not really noticed the ringing of the tom, have to look into that. And yeah, the last part is kinda wierd.

Hi ,
I like your mix ,
The bottom end of the bass and kick just need a little taming but that's a taste thing depending what referencing against .

Nice work !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sounds great though my headphones Lukas, I really like it! Good panning and arrangement, works well. Guitars are forward, but I kinda like this also. It's got to be a guitarist thing I guessTongue.
Well Done!