Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers: 'Rescue Me' kapu mix
Did some slight modifications. ^_^

.m4a    amy_helm___the_handsome_strangers-__rescue_me__kapu_mix2.m4a --  (Download: 10.22 MB)

This is maybe quite a natural solutions to solve the problems of these tracks. If I had had the needed talent I might have done the same trick. On the other hand, I’m not sure if this song is the best possible for these kind of creative ideas.

As if I’m hearing again some Leevi-influences. He didn’t have any problems to blend modern cheap tricks with old retro sounds. And the rest is history…

Vox could be a bit louder. Also soolo guitar in solo.

The main riff is cool, but it gets a bit boring after 2 minutes. Maybe the chorus could have some bonus trick. For some reason it came to mind that Beatles’ Get Back will give you a solution to that problem. If you listen it, you’ll find a new idea that in the end has has nothing to do with ”Get Back”….
(04-11-2017, 06:32 PM)Olli H Wrote: This is maybe quite [...]

Thanks for feedback. This was a relatively fast draft, but the 'method' isn't so unusual. I believe Queen - I want to break free, Prince - Kiss and David Bowie - Fame were written as simple and traditional 3 chord country songs, and then got totally transformed in the production. And those are also some the most influental tracks for me, and Leevi also. Going to add some nice effects and tweak some stuff, but I kinda liked the idea of vocals being overly ambient and laying back. ^_^
Now I also do more ordinary mix. ^_^

.m4a    amy_helm___the_handsome_strangers-__rescue_me__kapu_meh_mix.m4a --  (Download: 10.7 MB)

Damn,I wish I could that!Very cool sounding remix.I agree with Olli that the main riff you added although is very cool,begins to loose interest after a couple of minutes.
Your ordinary mix now is also very nice!Very full sounding but also very balanced.I like the wet approach with the reverbs,i went myself towards that approach,i really think it suits the song!
If there would be anything to fix (there isn't really) it would be a little more work at the 150-200hz area ,some might say that it sounds a little muddy.

Fantastic job overall!

Cheers!
(06-11-2017, 08:53 AM)Promhtheas Wrote: Damn,I wish I [...]

Thanks for listening! I'm aware of the second version mud. Tried to clean some up, and updated the file, but I think it's a combination of my mixing style and the relatively busy bassline. Have to work on that. ^_^
Having spent hours mixing this song - your Remix was very refreshing - love the drums and synth!

Agree - lots of mud. If that gets cleaned out then I'm sure it will sound great!
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(11-11-2017, 03:06 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Having spent [...]

Tried cleaning up the ordinary mix more and updated the file. When I started messing around with the tracks and it began to drift into that remix section, it sounded so 'goofy' it had to be done. Nice to hear it worked for you. ^_^
I love version 1 ,I was expecting Prince to start singing lol.

Version 2 sounds well balanced nice use of effects the snare sounds good .
Not much to complain about .
There are some ringing resonances at about 116 and 171hz which I tried to tame in my mix around the similar area , not sure if it is the bass or a build up of competing frequencies which maybe contributing to a little mud !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(12-11-2017, 12:34 AM)thedon Wrote: I love version 1 [...]

Tried replacing audio in the video of the original recording with the first mix. Looked hilarious. Should probably post it on YouTube. ^_^