Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Ja Make Ya Dance - deadislandrecords mix
Really great group, love their music.

Notes:
- Is it just me, or was the sax playing moving around a whole lot? Extreme dips in energy (not due to playability) seemingly due to the player moving out of position the mic was catching the instrument
- Per usual, minimal reverb & FX used; kept the drum chamber as my only drum 'verb,' and put up a tight room on anything else
- Tight slap on the sax to give it some energy

Felt like I got a nice, fat mix with energy from a quick mix down

Enjoy!

.mp3    GhostNote - Ja Make Ya Dance.mp3 --  (Download: 11 MB)

On the Sax, YES. And that movement is very well captured as part of the performance. Movement is a major part of this arrangement.

Your mix is very static and while the sounds are good and the balance good, the music is demanding movement, in my opinion. I often have the same approach with minimal effects and a natural sounds. But sometimes there is a call for more.

I did hear you move the Rhodes from the left to the center at the end. At first I thought something was lost in your mix, and then the final keyboard figure appears in the middle.

I'd like to hear your take on a more creative environment with delays and verbs, choruses. flanges, phasers, etc. If there is any platform for that, it would be this richly texture instrumental. Give it a go.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]