Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers: 'Rescue Me'
Hey peoples,

with this one I was going for a very pop-sounding dense mix.

Please tell me where I can improve Big Grin

V2: Redid most of the mix, more alive drums (still fairly compressed), less mid and high mid mayhem.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

.mp3    AmyHelm&TheHandsomeStrangers_RescueMe_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

.mp3    AmyHelm&TheHandsomeStrangers_RescueMe_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

Hello Lukas,

I think your drums are overcompressed.Also there are some harsh mid high frequencies all over your mix but they mostly affect the main vocal and the mandolin.I think you should start from there on your second revision!
I agree with Promtheas. Although I kinda like the compressed drums, the overall harshness if upper mids needs some work. Could also be a monitoring issue. ^_^
Hey Lucas,

for me, V2 is a definite improvement over V1. The overall tone is much better with a much more defined low end and because of that the mix is pleasant to listen to. Well done on that.

I think the band balance is good, no real issues there. Maybe the stereo image is a a bit unnaturally wide but if that's your vision then great. For me the Vox is maybe a bit back in the mix. I like the fx on the vox but I'm not convinced that the band and the singer are in the same space......Spatially the fx sound-stage that you've created means that the band sounds like it's upfront and lead vox is behind! which is a bit unorthodox.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar