Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers: 'Rescue Me'
Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers: 'Rescue Me'

.mp3    Amy Helm.mp3 --  (Download: 9.81 MB)

Hello!

The mix is clear and punchy but maybe a little too much.I would turn the drums down a notch.And the snare could use some treatment at the 400-500 hz area as I think it sounds a little boxy.So do the toms.

(03-11-2017, 10:36 AM)Promhtheas Wrote: Hello!

The mix is clear and punchy but maybe a little too much.I would turn the drums down a notch.And the snare could use some treatment at the 400-500 hz area as I think it sounds a little boxy.So do the toms.

I respectfully disagree. I think I achieved the warm tone I was after with a punchy snare that is solid and drives the backbeat. I took care of the mud of the track and cleared space for the vocals to seat better and the bass to play those lines that I liked so much. Listen to Margo Price and you will hear what I wanted to achieve. Regards.
Javierpg84
(04-11-2017, 04:16 PM)damacell Wrote: Amazing, love Amy's voice, the band it great, it really groves and has a great hook. Really appreciate the guitar player, very tasty knows how to stay out of the way and his use of delays is pretty awesome. Great drummer and bass. Its a new favorite band. Thanks for sharing.

I totally agree with you. It was a real pleasure mixing this song because there is musicianship here for shure.
Overall i like your mix. The opening vox phrase in verse 1 could do with a a vocal ride imo as it seems very low. First impressions count and i'm reaching for my volume control to hear the vox and then having to turn it down later as the vox level normalizes. Good job
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(11-11-2017, 02:55 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Overall i like your mix. The opening vox phrase in verse 1 could do with a a vocal ride imo as it seems very low. First impressions count and i'm reaching for my volume control to hear the vox and then having to turn it down later as the vox level normalizes. Good job

Thank you HbGuitar. I see your point in the initial vocal verse. Thank you for pointing it out. I hope you have enjoyed the rest. Cheers!
(04-11-2017, 04:16 PM)damacell Wrote: Amazing, love Amy's voice, the band it great, it really groves and has a great hook. Really appreciate the guitar player, very tasty knows how to stay out of the way and his use of delays is pretty awesome. Great drummer and bass. Its a new favorite band. Thanks for sharing.

I am not a fan of the guitar player. If you appreciate this guitar player, I am really confused. Staying out of the way is truly not his strong suit. The part is horrible, the sound is even worse and not one of his sounds matches the context of the song. The guitarist may be a great player and a good person, but this guitar part is a complete fail. The brutal nature of his part makes me believe this particular player does not understand the difference between ensemble playing and lead guitar. I know many guitarist like that. Listening is not their stock and trade. They know only how to listen to themselves and as a result the ensemble suffers as in this rendition. Every mix of this from every mixer is about trying to effectively deal with the guitar instead of using skills to enhance the song with the part. Everyone is doing everything they can to minimize the horror of it. It lends nothing to the song. If you have to work this hard just to find a place for this part, you could say there is something wrong with the part.

Just my opinion.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]