Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
JOK3R ft Ardelli remix
Chapter One........

.m4a    JOK3R_ft_Ardelli-MonkMix.m4a --  (Download: 13.58 MB)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(29-10-2017, 09:36 PM)Monk Wrote: Chapter One........

Wow...

Love it! Cool

I was not expecting anything like this. I mean I did hope that people would do creative things with "Asiza" but it didn't occur to me someone might use me as a sound sample. I have to admit, the opening made my hair (what little I have) stand on end: "Staring up at me with that heartbreaking expression that seemed to ask only one question." Then that sound, echoing off. Then: "Why?" echoes off into the distance with it... wow... chills... seriously...

Well, J0K3R wanted "creative" stuff done with "September Trance;" I'd say this qualifies. Big Grin

My only quibbles regard the mix of the music, both minor:

1. I felt the beat was a little weak; probably should be punched up a dB or two.
2. Sounds to me like there's room for more top end in this mix. I don't have anything specific here, just a general feeling, a craving for a little more air in the mix. Not on my voice; the balance there is perfect so I don't recommend adding an EQ to the whole thing to fix the problem but you might try a gentle, maybe 2 or 3 dB 12 kHz boost on some of the synth and SFX tracks maybe. OTOH, the darker tone does fit the mood of the piece so this may be more a personal taste thing, and the spectral balance as it is I suspect may grow on me in time.

Other than that, love this mix, and not just because you used my voice in it. Blush I love the way you take different synth parts and pull them out front, giving each its moment in the sun, and this also helps create a clean sounding mix with plenty of definition between the different parts. I also love the way you weave my voice into the rhythm in such a way that it enhances the words, and the weird effects on it create a kind of dreamy effect that works very well indeed.

I'd love to see you tackle a full mix of "Asiza" itself, and I'm hoping your mix here will encourage others to do the same and/or do more creative stuff like this. Smile

Nice! Cool
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
THIS is a very creative take on the song. Love the psytrance take on it, however I'm missing the bass and kick an awful lot during the entire track. That's what makes trance "trancey" if you know what I mean...the constant thumping, throbbing beat mixed in with the revolving elements. You've done an amazing job with the revolving elements, but the feeling that makes me want to dance is gone. Perhaps bring the bass and kick to the front and leave the rest alone?

Super cool take, regardless of my opinions.
-Jim
(30-10-2017, 10:38 PM)jimmyklane Wrote: THIS is a very creative take on the song. Love the psytrance take on it, however I'm missing the bass and kick an awful lot during the entire track. That's what makes trance "trancey" if you know what I mean...the constant thumping, throbbing beat mixed in with the revolving elements.

I agree, but perhaps there's a bit more to it. Dropping a 4-to-the-floor doesn't make a rhythm, we need other elements to help drive the groove. A bass line timed with the kick is a fundamental necessity.

The bass synth, which needs to support the kick, consists of about 7 consecutive 1/16th notes. The downbeat actually has 3 keys, which go by unnoticed because of the tempo and the fact that sub bass makes it difficult to identify a key.

To get the bass working with the kick, especially when the kick isn't correlated to the bass in the arrangement, and without the voltage going through the roof and killing the speakers isn't possible, according to the conversations I've had with my sub.

Sidechaining the kick to bass doesn't work nicely because of the disparity in their relationship.

Have a listen to the preview in the download section, for example. The FFT has the bass going through the roof, yet there's absolutely no kick and bass for all that energy. The reason is because of too much voltage.

Quote: You've done an amazing job with the revolving elements, but the feeling that makes me want to dance is gone.

Big Grin I'm glad about that, it's not my vision Cool

Quote:Perhaps bring the bass and kick to the front and leave the rest alone?

Making the kick and bass louder, means that everything else gets pushed right back, losing the balance and musical dynamic between the elements. That's not what I'd want. More bass and kick in this mix would turn it to mud as well as needing a significant hike in treble because of the change in perception.

Quote:Super cool take, regardless of my opinions.

Many thanks for sharing them, and a hefty debt in gratitude for dropping the material by. May I ask that if you get the chance of dropping another, that you include the midi too? I'd be in heaven Angel
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.