Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
September Trance Puissant Mix
Hi everyone.
I'm a beginner but I'm learning mixing and producing (books, videos and practice) since more than two years. So this is my first mix, ever.

I'm more of a techno guy so I might have mix this track with this genre in mind. What I tried to accomplish is clarity, solid kick and bass and constant movement.
I did some pretty minor tweaks to the arrangement to keep interest and did a lot of automation.

I hope I'll get some feedback from you guys to know what I did wrong and what I did good. And I really hope you'll have some fun to listen to my version.

Cheers.
Max

.mp3    JOK3R_SEPTEMBER_TRANCE_PUISSANT_MASTER.mp3 --  (Download: 10.38 MB)

Sweet mix
Whaoah! I'm no expert, but immediate impression is that the top end is really sharp, then the bass kicks in. WAY too much bass! Muddy bass! Maybe it's just too much cut mids?

Having said that, I'm working on my own mix of this currently, and I doubt it will be any better than this by any means.

On the positive side, your mix certainly has a shitload of energy Smile I'm struggling to bring that out.

Edit... Also, there's some really high hiss the moment it starts, before the track even starts. Some analogue emulation (or maybe the real thing) with noise not turned off?
I also think you may have some stereo in the bass, though I'm not sure.
Thanks for the feedback.
It's been a while so I don't remember the whole thing (might go check the project if I got time), but you're probably right about the overall balance of the bass and the top end. Problem is, I don't have the right monitoring tools, so I over compensate. Classic. But good to have another point of view on that, it's really important, thanks.
Also, I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the bass is full mono, as it is definitely something I learned, to keep the bass centered. Generally, I throw away all the mid information with a mid/side plug-in.
As for the beginning hiss, you're most certainly right as I probably used some analog emulations. That's not something I really care about, I like when it's kind of "dirty". Although you might say it's just a technical error and you'll be right!
As for the positive side you mention, my goal was clearly to punch the mix in your face, so I'm glad it worked! I'm trying to keep things as clear as possible and to get the more "dynamic range" I can from the music.

Thanks again!