Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Queenslight Voelund mix
So heres my attempt - I worked quite a bit on the dynamics, and though I had Dons mix in memory, mine isnt at all as full and clear. Anyway, we all make diffrent worlds in our attempt to print our visions. This is mine.

.mp3    Quenslight 01 lim locut.mp3 --  (Download: 6.85 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Nice mix.I like the bass especially!
Warm and well balanced.
Glad you like it Gopener. Thank you
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Very nice well balanced mix.
Great stereo image with percussion nice mix to listen to !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Glad you say so, especially as your mix has such clarity and overall great sound ! I had the per ussion run through an old alesis microlimiter, that seemed to glue it up for me. Great tune to work with.
I love how you have managed to create depth in the mix. Would you care to elaborate on how your reverb setting for the percussion and the snare.

Compared to mine, your mix has more the feeling of actually being in a room while listening to it, where as I prefer my drums, especially the snare to be upfront and more in your face.

One thing I would like to point out though is that during the guitar solo, the guitar appears to behind the bass and the Hammond, though it should be the front most instrument during the solo.
Glad you like what I did with the multitrack. Thank you. I guess we all have our strong points, I have an immediate instinct for what reverb to use and how I want it to sound, but have lots to learn in the sculpting of the sound, as you so detailed pointed out how you did in your thread. I have to go open my song file to be sure, my go to verbs are one very short IR from a EMT250, a 2nd verb I choose for the song, maybe a 3rd longer one, and usually my hardware LXP 1, either looong hall, medium plate or short room, and my digitech dsp 128 always standin at hall short tail and received in mono.

For the guitar I deliberately made it behind, to give the music room to breathe in that passage and also room for some explotions I helped along with automation. I have a long musical memory and I had this cassette tape with a jazz player, who always were hard to hear over the band when playin, so people had to listen - cant remember his name. That was the inspiration for makin that part so, admit I may have overdone it Big Grin
I´ll be back later with detailed info on what I did with verbs
The snare has 3 reverb sends, not much either o them, but together they create a nice space.
LXP 1 plate or short room, I must admit I didnt take notes to which I used ...
DSP 128 1,2 hall - both of these have "natural" long predelay since my DAW is runnin on pretty hi buffersize, delay compensation - so I dont know the excaxt predelay, but I make it fit by turnin lvl up or down -
IR from Mikes link to Lexicon 960L collection (get it here: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-ch16.htm ) 1,34s med stage & hall, predelay 30ms

Percussion has lots o short EMT 250 (0,44s, pre delay 38ms) and an ambience plugin from Magnus smartelectronix preset dark rimba room, and a little DSP 128, a little Mikes IR .
Percussion were also ran through a microlimiter from alesis, that changed the sound too.

I often blend reverbs, just try diffrent lvls out and if I like it I keep it Big Grin
Thanks for that, I'm going to have a playaround with some reverbs and see if I can get anywhere close to your sound. Smile
great job with the verbs (wish I had analogue reverbs Smile) and I love how the melody synths sound in tandem. electric piano solo gets a little washed out for me but i love the guitar!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!