Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Hollow Ground - Ill Fate (thelongestyear)
(16-04-2015, 10:00 PM)thelongestyear Wrote:
(02-04-2015, 01:39 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Nice mix but I am not a big fan of the brickwall mastering, it really makes the mix sound softer in my opinion, the power is only there when your volume is loud and as soon as you turn it down it kills the impact of the mix. Reign in Blood, Master of Puppets, and pretty well all the great thrash of yesteryear sound so brutal and punchy because they didn't use as much compression as records these days. I would really cut back on the compression and limiting and really look more into saturation and soft clipping to achieve the sound you're looking for.

Tanks for the reply, dcp10200!
I'm not a great fan of squeezing tracks but I could resist myself to just slam it all the way. I felt like it's the only way for me to do this track. The problem with saturation is that you may get very nasty artifacts on distorted guitars (this nasty, brittle, sandy sizzling), so I tend not to go hard on saturation with this sort of material.
I see where you are coming from, I used the DI guitar tracks and reamped them through guitar Rig and added a tubescreamer style distortion to the chan to really push the amp sim hard. But I was talking more about mastering using a Tape plugin or a soft clipper which you can add more subtly to give a big fat mix. I like how the kick in your mix stays present but to my ears the guitars are on the harsh side, some tape saturation, I found in my experience at least, helps smooth out some of the harsher distortion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68cjZrIIftY This is where I got that idea from for some context.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6