Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix by Malu
Loved the smoothness of this song and the intimacy is really amazing. Had a great time with this one! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

.mp3    Jay Menon - Through My Eyes_Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.4 MB)

Lovely warm sounds you're creating here with your bass and effects in particular, and the voice wafts with beautiful clarity over the top. Good work! The only time I feel a bit underwhelmed is with the piano lines between 2:55 and 3:20, which somehow don't seem to balance out the rich, warm tone of the guitar. Maybe the effects just need to be a bit more expansive on that, or else perhaps a bit of real-time EQ adjustment might be in order.

Nice atmospherics at the start as well-- but I wonder whether they are just a touch overstated in terms of distracting from the lead vocal and lyrics. It just feels like maybe you're letting the cat too far out of the bag too early there.

It also sounds like you've been doing some careful automation work here, because I'm getting that sense of having my attention directed at all the nice features, and the balance also seems solidly locked in a way that smacks of automation. I think you might want to program in one more thing, though -- the effect tail on the vocal during the drop at 3:25-3:31 sounds rather odd, and might be better faded out there. There's something funny happening with the way the vibrato is hitting a feedback delay, I think.

Thanks for letting us all listen!
Thanks for the review Mike! It's always great to have a different ear looking for things I've missed and if it's a trained ear then even better. Very good points, I'm actually gonna go back and re-work that drop as the space is to much for that area, mute will come in handy.

Thanks once again!

What a beautiful mix Malu Marius !

First thing that i loved immediatly is how the bass sits in the mix and makes a rock solid foundation for the rest of the mix to express ! This is a good start where the other elements just come naturally, from bottom end to highs. I listen to a song then, and not really to a mix as a professionnal : in this, your job is done and well done !
I agree with Mike on the few points you could tweak. Especially the piano, which seems a little thin compared to the richness of the guitar tone (beautiful !!!)
Voice is perfectly managed in term of dynamic and EQ and is well integrated in the mix

Don't know what else to say... you'll get paid for this ! it's a good mix. You can also have fun trying to make it sound even better if you want ...

When i like a mix of someone (listened to your metal one before..), i go straight to the user page, and listen if there are other mixes to listen to. Cool there was another one !

Keep going Smile

Cheers from France
Hi Malu-marius,

I also think your mix is very solid with good balance and tones.
In my mix I used more drum ambience, but it's nice to hear that your drier drum sound also works fine.

The only thing I would intuitively change is the snare sound: yours is quite attacky, with almost no sustain.

RJ

(31-07-2012, 01:29 PM)Malu-Marius Wrote: Loved the smoothness of this song and the intimacy is really amazing. Had a great time with this one! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Hello Malu-marius

Some nice things in here.

At the intro I find the pads are distracting from the vocal which is almost buried at times and then comes back upfront for all the remaining of the track, which is pretty disctracting as well. The loud pads cause the piano to sound small with no real lifting when it comes in. Also in the chorus you have the same problem as there not much forward motion and the drums are a little dwarfed by the rest of the track. Reworking your ambiances so they evolve with the track might be a good idea too. I find the bass to be a bit muddy and it masks the kick when they play together, especially in the chorus, which helps to dwarf the drums and lower the impact. The bass could use more mids too IMO. That would help to define the notes more with the added advantage of helping it translate better on small speakers.

Cheers
I love your sound! I'm very thankful to this site and to Mr. Mike's advice about your mix coz I'm still learning.
Cheers!