Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stitch up mixed by Voelund
(06-01-2014, 01:39 AM)Voelund Wrote: I realise the translation doesnt make it easier to commucate. My main concern is you say you dont like this and that without pointin out whats the problem. Imagine this. You painted a picture. I say it makes me sick. Would you know if its the colours, composition or motive that I dont like ?

Do you get the picture ?

Hi!

In your picture was everything here! Colours, composition and motive!

But I do not like your picture!

Why?

I dont know! Undecided

Back to music!

Your mix contains all the necessary good components!

But I do not feel excited listening to this mix!

To change the radio station if you listen to your mix on the radio?

I think so!

And thats all!

Google translate! Blush
HI,

I like that you have found a place for everything in the guitar separations. Although I'm not a big fan of hard panning on guitar parts. The guitar that I think you've cut and pasted on the right is a little too dominant. The guitar sounds are all well defined and clear. The vocals are really nice but at times seem a little small. You have a really nice vocal sound bring them up a bit in the mix and they will really shine. The drums are nicely balanced but I prefer them to be a bit bigger to help drive the track. It could be partly due to the arrangement but the track seems to not have as much energy as I thought it would. Making the drums and vocals a little bit larger may add some energy though. I know this is in progress so my suggestions are mostly personal preferences. The mix is clear and well balanced for a starter. Maybe I'm tired too and my ears aren't quite picking up on the energy that is there.
Don't get me wrong I like the mix very much.Smile

TC
Thank you for the useful comments.
This was in fact a mix I wasnt too happy with, as you noticed I couldnt get the drums as big as I wanted them. May very well come down to phase issues as I around that time still struggled to have a checklist for solving that ...
As I remember the guitar part repeated were an attempt to glue the pieces together and make the song make sense in my head.
I'll have your suggestions in mind if I revisit the mixin session. At mo I testdrive Reaper, to see if I want to change DAW. Looks and sounds promisin so far, only 2 problems so far. No on onboard sampler and no convolution verb. Both sampler and verb come in free versions, so it come down to i portin my samples and IRs, first I have to learn how to, second is a lot o clivks but doable.
May not be necessary if theres a way to sync Logic to Reaper.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
i like your drum and bass. they were perfectly blend and your lo end has good definition. i must say this is a good mix but only one thing that i dislike is the vocals. maybe too wet for my taste, i believe vocals should sits firmly with drum and bass. thats just my view, but overall its a good mix. i really love your drum sound and dynamic.

danni
Thank you for the response !

Its food for thought that one set of ears find it sounds good, another it sounds lifeless, and others find vocal sounds great, you like bas n drums, but vocals too wet...
At the end of the day its the mixer bein responsible for creatin a sound picture as good as possible, and the decisions made cant be but coloured by personal taste, and it shouldnt, as the signature sound of a great mixer can be very very recognisable. And listenin too much to advice can open your eyes, but it can also make you sound like anybody else, and who wants that ...

So what we all got to do here is take the advice given, eventually try it out and learn OR decide it doesnt fit with how our ears and minds are workin.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(16-01-2014, 04:18 PM)Voelund Wrote: Thank you for the response !

Its food for thought that one set of ears find it sounds good, another it sounds lifeless, and others find vocal sounds great, you like bas n drums, but vocals too wet...
At the end of the day its the mixer bein responsible for creatin a sound picture as good as possible, and the decisions made cant be but coloured by personal taste, and it shouldnt, as the signature sound of a great mixer can be very very recognisable. And listenin too much to advice can open your eyes, but it can also make you sound like anybody else, and who wants that ...

So what we all got to do here is take the advice given, eventually try it out and learn OR decide it doesnt fit with how our ears and minds are workin.

Hi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89w49uH3iE

Try!

You'll be surprised! Undecided
(17-01-2014, 09:30 AM)mik123 Wrote: Hi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89w49uH3iE

Try!

You'll be surprised! Undecided
Looks like fun but its a nogo on OSX.4
I use itunes ...
I decided to give it another go and discovered a lot of obvious "Im in a hurry so I just leave that" mistakes or rather things ot done, like locuts, phase issues on drums, snare and toms for some ...
Also the stereo field were a bit confused as lots o the bv were mono, I seem to remember I just wanted to finish it and it sounded fair so bounce it Big Grin

Anyway, I made another balance of the signature guitar and added a little help to thythm guitar as well, gave bv some needed attentio, especialy in last part.

Also added a couple o spring verbs to some guitars, made them fit better I think.

.mp3    Stitch up 05c lim.mp3 --  (Download: 7.73 MB)

Your first mix sounded good to me but after listening to the second one now, I confess that I like this one much better! (and I love the lead vocal delay!!)
mixing since April 2013
Great :-) Im a big fan of 175ms slap delay on vocals, use it all the time Big Grin