Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All American Mutt - HB Mix
Telefunken sessions can often be a bit of a nightmare sometimes with multiple microphones, spill and phase issues to wade through.

This one however seemed to come together really quickly. Only one double microphone (ELGTR), one of which I dumped, not much spill and relatively few phase issues.

As usual, production qualities are pretty high too which always helps.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New Version, 1.1, see below

.mp3    All American Mutt_HB Mix 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 7.54 MB)

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Hi Hb,

I've been looking over this one myself, and my findings have been similar to yours. The spill from the acoustic guitar could be tricky, but I found that it added some real nice ambience and space to the whole piece if used accordingly.

Listening to your mix, I like it a lot. It represents the performance nicely. With the headphones on though, there maybe a little too much energy in the kick and maybe a little full in the low mids at times. The Oooo Vox section for example does feel heavy in this area.

An enjoyable listen overall. Great work.
Great vocals. I think everyone has and will struggle with some of the wool in the low mids and your mix does too. That area just takes up too much space in the energy footprint of the song. Not easy to deal with and keep the energy. You are really close. Another area which caused some consternation is the cymbals which kind of sneak up on you. These are just minors tweaks I would suggest to an otherwise excellent take.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(06-10-2017, 11:14 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi Hb,

I've been looking over this one myself, and my findings have been similar to yours. The spill from the acoustic guitar could be tricky, but I found that it added some real nice ambience and space to the whole piece if used accordingly.

Listening to your mix, I like it a lot. It represents the performance nicely. With the headphones on though, there maybe a little too much energy in the kick and maybe a little full in the low mids at times. The Oooo Vox section for example does feel heavy in this area.

An enjoyable listen overall. Great work.
Hey Dave, Thanks for listening man. 'preciate the comments.

I was just setting the session up, getting everything in its place ready for a mixing session later. But i just mixed it and it came out real fast, which is NOT my usual way......I'm more tinkerman that inspired creative.

I've done a fair bit of static low mids EQ work already but maybe some additional dynamic eq will help control that area.

cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

(06-10-2017, 03:51 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Great vocals. I think everyone has and will struggle with some of the wool in the low mids and your mix does too. That area just takes up too much space in the energy footprint of the song. Not easy to deal with and keep the energy. You are really close. Another area which caused some consternation is the cymbals which kind of sneak up on you. These are just minors tweaks I would suggest to an otherwise excellent take.

Hey MITC!

Thanks for your comments. I'm thinking of adding some dynamic EQ on the low mids......which could work on those cymbals too. Hopefully that will keep the overall mix pretty much as it is but tame anything unruly.

Cheers, Simon

New Version, 1.1.

Dynamic EQ to tame lower mids in vox/instruments plus control OHs

.mp3    All American Mutt_HB Mix 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.52 MB)

Thanks for your feedback! Listened latest version. I don't think there are any problems with lows. For me it sound's there's some nasty 'drilling' from vocals in around 7-8k. I like your softer approach with the beats, and the balances feel right. Nice mix! ^_^
Excellent. Good energy and great sounds. Smooth and solid. Well done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(07-10-2017, 09:29 AM)kapu Wrote: Thanks for your feedback! Listened latest version. I don't think there are any problems with lows. For me it sound's there's some nasty 'drilling' from vocals in around 7-8k. I like your softer approach with the beats, and the balances feel right. Nice mix! ^_^

hey kapu, thanks for listening. I'll see if i can find the source of the drilling! Big Grin

(09-10-2017, 11:03 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Excellent. Good energy and great sounds. Smooth and solid. Well done.

cheers mate