Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totally Not Opeth :D
Here's my initial mix of Death Metal Sucks, I drowned the intro piano and guitars in a church reverb and added Izotope's Vinyl plugin to give it that creep ambient vibe to it. From there I tried to get a tight sounding rhythm tone with a touch of reverb added in, more in line with the Gothenburg Death Metal sound rather than the classic Florida Death Metal sound.

The bass is bit of a bear to work with on this track (it's a similar situation on the Thrashy Thrash track as well) as it's pretty muddy without a lot of punch to it. It sounds like it's being played with dead strings and not being picked very hard to get that attack, I'm not sure the setup that Szymon is using to track bass so it's hard to say, the bass sounds ok for the more dense sections but for the intro where it's playing on it's own it sounds pretty weak, the guitars and drums are recorded pretty well, I'd tighten up the rhythm guitars a bit though and I'm noticing a weird phasey sound on the cymbals though towards the solo section and outro (could be something I did on my end though Big Grin).

Cheers,
Doug

Update: After listening in my car I turned the bass down abit, gave the rhythm guitars a more biting sound, added a touch more reverb to the snare and toms, and increased the amount of delay on the leads.

.mp3    Death Metal Sucks Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.11 MB)

.mp3    Death Metal Sucks! Mix 2 (No Edits).mp3 --  (Download: 6.14 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
New mix above
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Nice mix, very clear and balanced.