Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Such Funk, Much Groove!
The funk is strong with this one! Seriously though, this is a fun little jam track that has plenty of attitude, I went for a more dry sound on the drums but added a 1/16th note delay on the snare for fun. On the lead guitar there's a 169 ms delay acting as a sort of reverb and the syncopated guitar is panned to the left ala Van Halen 1 with a small room verb on the right. The arrangement is similar to Mixinthecloud Adam's mix and I pushed the loudness on this one abit, ala RHCP Big Grin

Cheers,
Doug

Update: The lead guitar was too bright sounding and too forward in the mix, so I turned the brighter mic down and lowered the overall level of the lead, during the rhythm guitar dropout the lead is automated down a bit so it's not as in your face.

I cleaned up some mud on the bass and gave it a cleaner sound, the snare delay has more modulation on it and is more Lo-Fi sounding.

.mp3    Shut Up and Play! Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 3.72 MB)

.mp3    Shut Up and Play! Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.7 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Great and fun. Inventive use of the delay on the snare and works surprisingly well, even with the funny ending! Good arrangement. I like what you did with the bass at the end. Well done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Well this one was a nice listen, i like the conservative mixsound in the intro, but when the lead guitar comes in it makes the mix so hars :/ feels like it is making the mixbuss glue all other elements in a clamped way and starts to fog stuf up. Otherwise impressive volume for a relative unsmashed sound and the whole mix sounds warm and not to harsh even though you have managed this. Only thing is that the lead guitar makes me feel very un-relaxed and almost give me a headache. Also the delays on the snare in the beginning was a cool but i think it would have been even cooler if the delays wasn't so digital and as same sounding as the original sound, maybe to have a litle modulation on them and some color/filtering. But i would say this mix was one of the better so far Smile
(03-10-2017, 09:07 PM)crownoise Wrote: Well this one was a nice listen, i like the conservative mixsound in the intro, but when the lead guitar comes in it makes the mix so hars :/ feels like it is making the mixbuss glue all other elements in a clamped way and starts to fog stuf up. Otherwise impressive volume for a relative unsmashed sound and the whole mix sounds warm and not to harsh even though you have managed this. Only thing is that the lead guitar makes me feel very un-relaxed and almost give me a headache. Also the delays on the snare in the beginning was a cool but i think it would have been even cooler if the delays wasn't so digital and as same sounding as the original sound, maybe to have a litle modulation on them and some color/filtering. But i would say this mix was one of the better so far Smile

Thanks! I was feeling similar about the lead and i remembered that I forgot to adjust the level on the automation, and the brighter sounding mic was boosted a bit too high which made it seem even more forward. I ended up using the Lo-Fi button on my delay (Waves H-Delay) and used a slower modulation on it, before the modulation was much faster, almost acting a a quazi ring mod but less extreme.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6