Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maggie May - mix Olli H
I chose to mix this song because I immediately get the idea to take Bob Dylan's "On a Night Like THis" as a reference. I wanted to try to make simple and dry mix with 70's sound and frequency balance.

I thought that this should be easy and quick job. But it was quite difficult. Most of my trials were too messy as guitars were competing with each other, and I wasn't happy at all with low end.

In the end, I think I found some solution to problems, not perfect, but I still can live with them.

.mp3    2013-07-15-maggieMay-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 6.28 MB)

I think you captured the 70s sound you were going for very well, your efforts paid off. Suits the song perfectly.
Nice mix ,big and open and 70s sounding .
I think this is a real good mix and this is a hard song as
i tried it ages ago and lashed it right up but i think i might have
another go after listening to this
This is a nice sounding mix !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for comments, fellows!
i just done a real nice mix of this and was just about to save it and it all crashed and i lost the lot,not too pleased.
Sorry to hear. I got a compulsive habbit to save the project very often. Algthough that doesn't help if the file gets corrupted.
I use Pro Tools. It has a feature to save automatically backup session files every 5 minutes or so. So, if I have made only stupid decisions for last half an hour, I can go to some of the session backup files, and go back to old version. Have you checked if the Cubase does the same?
Great I like it, nice vocal sound!

very 70 vibe. check mine i have try 70 road too.
Great mix Olli.The 70s are there for sure!The only that bothers me is in 1:35 when the cymbals comes in, are way too loud and they stick out of the mix.

THanks for commenting. You're totally right about those cymbals, I ought to fix them.