Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XXXV - My take on it (no vocals)
Hello everybody Wink! First time posting.

Banged this mix out in about 3 hours, working in between two days.
I tried to move away from the typical deathcore/modern metal production and tried to go for something a little bit more natural sounding and not as ultra-bright and triggered as some modern productions feel.
You might need to turn up the volume as I didn't master the track because I feel I'm still not good enough at that.

Please give some constructive criticism as I'd love to learn more, and feel free to ask about anything (how I got this and that sound, what plugins I used, etc).

.mp3    headwound harry - xxxv (remix).mp3 --  (Download: 9.36 MB)

Decent balance overall, the guitars are heavy sounding and I can hear most everything clearly, my real complaint is that the mix feels rather stodgy and lacking in the low end. The bass doesn't have that low end thunder to compliment the guitars and the kick is rather midrange heavy. The snare is also boxy and there's a rather distracting reverb on it, there's some bleed being amplified by a gate that's really annoying as well.

I'm just finding that the whole mix is really boxy in general and it takes away from the overall impact of the track, if you trim away some of the lower mids from the guitars (I found a highpass at 190 Hz helped a fair bit) and take out some 400-800 Hz range on the bass, the mix will open up more and yeild a better result. Try some multiband compression on the 880 Hz range f the guitar to clean it up abit as well as a limiter to keep it consistent. Cutting some 400-600 Hz on the snare and boosting the top end a couple of dBs will help it out overall in the mix along with a shorter decay on the reverb. The toms need some scooping around 200-400 Hz to clean them up.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6