Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I´m Alright - Mixed by Mange
My version of this very good song. Really fun to work with it but the "stems" sure has some things to wish for. Many people praise these files, I don´t find them that impressive. Great, but nothing overly special.

I would love to revisit this mix with more tracks at hand. Please upload the raw tracks in addition to this "stem" download.
My main issues with the tracks.

1: the electric guitar track. Solo and rythm in same track!!! Not fun during solo when you want to mute the rythm guitar. Sounds really good though. Don´t think I did anything to improve the sound of it.
2: Percussion track. Stereo track with a blend of dry and wet signals! A bit too wide premixed for my taste. Removed some side channel on it. Also used some level automation on it.
3: Two backvox tracks pre mixed with double and harmonie! Was able to phase out the digital copy of the double that existed in both tracks. Made my own stereo doubles from the lead track.
4: Three toms in a stereo track. Not very important.. I just found the spread a bit wide. Removed some side and was ready to goSmile
5: As mentioned in another thread, there is some amount of room preset in the files. In the end I doubt I could improve anything by having it another way.

As said before. Really great song, love it. Had a blast with the scissors though. Wanted song to start more agressive so I exchanged the intro solo with the main solo. Well, intro solo is a hybrid between mid and main solo. Also added a couple of bars to the solo wich now is more like a breakdown. Wish I had more percussive options to the bridge after the solo. Also altered the ending. Delayed the original last vocals and later added some chorus reprise "loop".

On the drumbus I use the demo of the new Slate Digital VBC plugin. If it was 150$ I wouldn´t hesitate buying it but this mixing business of mine is just for fun so 200$ is really stretching it.

With all editing that took place, this project more turned into a preproduction project. Hopefully I didn´t step on any toes. Smile

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - Im Alright [Mixed by Mange].mp3 --  (Download: 6.79 MB)

Another great mix of yours!!I will only suggest to get some meat on that snare.

p.s. You can cut the rythm guitar and paste it on another track to have more flexibility.
More and more recordings have some significant process there.Its not bad (for me at least) i can see what the producer have in his mind, and gives me a bit challenge too.
Thing is that I had a better more interesting comp for intro solo going but the underlaying rythm guitar made it impossible to keep. I also would like to lose the rythm electric guitar during first solo but it´s just details.

Meat on snare, I was down that road but couldn´t get it where I wanted with eq or comp. Actually it made me curious about those drum replacement plugins. Just curious thoughSmile Eventually I decided it was god enough. There was other things that bothered me more.
One of the better mixes I've heard sofar. I agree with gopener, I think compression might work because there is alot of attack and not much of tail. I think thats what I did to mine aswell.

Check out mine if you like http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=2011
Really good mix and VERY creative, I love it!!!

Only two things that bother me.
The kick and bass seems a too loud.

Great work though.
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
Thanks Gerrit

I have recently revisited this track but not yet uploaded my new mix. Not quite ready yet. Other work keeps getting in the way. Don't remember if I lowered the kick... The bass is though. Will upload it within a couple of days.
Hi Mange. I didnt know a thing about drum replacement but found out my daw (logic) could do an audio to score thing, which put a midi file on selected track. Voila, it takes some editing sometimes but it isnt rocket science. Guess its possible in your daw too and defineyily a thing I will investigate more
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Oh and sorry Im not commentin on your mix. Im pn iphone next days ... I agree with your trouble havin rhythm and solo guitar same track, I love to move things around too and I gave up on this one I remember. Gonna listen when I get home. Hopefully the car wont break down again. Its expensive, both in time and money.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
@Voelund: WIll check out any audio 2 MIDI functions in my daw asap. Just jumped ship seven days ago and feel a bit overwelmed atm. I bought Studio One Producer. Really good deal last month. Since I got it I have had about two hours with it. Will probably upgrade it to Pro sometime. Those project features and Melodyne seem very nice. Wont ditch my trusted Tracktion all together just yet... it´s so easy importing projects from my Mackie SDR24/96 into T.
Lol I would like melodyne too but I dont have the money. My old Logic 7.1 is actually capable of most I need and the rest can be fiffled to somthin usable. Most o the time