Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This one was fun!
Hi all, here is my mix. I did it in Reaper. The usual suspects as far as plugins are concerned: waves, slate, kush, valhalla, klanghelm, etc. I kind of went for an Andrew Scheps vibe with his work on Hozier's record. Let me know what you all think, and if you leave a comment/crit, I'll do the same for you.

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9VAYQ...sp=sharing
(21-08-2017, 03:18 AM)MidnightOilAudio Wrote: Hi all, here is my mix. I did it in Reaper. The usual suspects as far as plugins are concerned: waves, slate, kush, valhalla, klanghelm, etc. I kind of went for an Andrew Scheps vibe with his work on Hozier's record. Let me know what you all think, and if you leave a comment/crit, I'll do the same for you.

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9VAYQ...sp=sharing

Hi MidnightOilAudio, and nice to hear your mix. I like the attitude on this one it has alot of grit and powerful guitars. It feels to me though that the image could be different, it feels a bit clamped in the mono signal. Maybe a compressor with slow slow settings could make it tighter. I like the sound of the kick but i would like it to punch a bit more. Overall the low end seem a little untamed and also the mono image seems very distorted, i think doing this in more instances could make it less noticable.
(21-08-2017, 08:21 AM)crownoise Wrote: Hi MidnightOilAudio, and nice to hear your mix. I like the attitude on this one it has alot of grit and powerful guitars. It feels to me though that the image could be different, it feels a bit clamped in the mono signal. Maybe a compressor with slow slow settings could make it tighter. I like the sound of the kick but i would like it to punch a bit more. Overall the low end seem a little untamed and also the mono image seems very distorted, i think doing this in more instances could make it less noticable.

Hi crownoise, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. The low end is definitely the weak point in my monitoring setup. I have a decently treated room and good monitors (Amphion One15's), but I have to use a consumer grade boombox that's hyped in the low mids and low's to gauge the low end.

Yes, there is a lot of distortion in the center image, the bass has some grit, the guitars and the vocal as well as the vocal delay. When you say "I think doing this in more instances could make it less noticeable", what did you mean?

Lastly, if you have a mix you'd like me to listen to, please link me here. Thanks again!