Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Things
Here is my attempt to mix this piece. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Frank

.mp3    Changing Things.mp3 --  (Download: 10.68 MB)

Frank,
Good levels and good tones, nice space. I am hearing an amount of compression I'm not sure I like. One of the last things I think this composition calls for is lots of compression. Can you express your approach on that?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I agree, I am listening to this mix again and I feel the same. It hurts the ear and I am not sure how that got past me. I had just purchased new headphones DT770 Studio's after using some Audio-Technica mx 40. I have sat and listened to music on them to get a feel for where these are and I feel like I have a better mix now. Let me retry this mix.
(01-10-2017, 08:17 PM)fjuarez3 Wrote: I agree, I am listening to this mix again and I feel the same. It hurts the ear and I am not sure how that got past me. I had just purchased new headphones DT770 Studio's after using some Audio-Technica mx 40. I have sat and listened to music on them to get a feel for where these are and I feel like I have a better mix now. Let me retry this mix.

Here is another attempt of the song.

.mp3    Changing thingsm.mp3 --  (Download: 9.18 MB)

(02-10-2017, 05:25 AM)fjuarez3 Wrote: Here is another attempt of the song.

Big improvement with this pass Frank. The first mix was quite harsh to listen to, but this one is very pleasant. Well Done
The latest mix is much *better* and certainly more accurate, Frank. Much easier to listen too. I presume you've eased-off on the way you were driving the master buss?
OK. A couple of things. While not overtly compressed in the master buss, each of your instruments is still heavily skrinched. And while they sound good they begin to feel artificial because of loss of any dynamics.

You have applied automation to everything but the drums it appears and I am not sure why. The drummer is as much a part of this as any of the players and plays some really wonderful passages in his solos.

I'd suggest laying back on all of your compression and let the more natural tones of the instruments and the nuances of the players shine through. They are there and in my opinion requires less of a heavy hand in the stewardship of this arrangement.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]