Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thrash Plz
This one should be pretty interesting, I've currently got Swimmers Ear in my left ear and am on the mend as of doing this mix. It was kindof an experiment to see if I could still mix while recovering and just to kill some time with a smaller set of multis.

Plugins used for reamping:

Rhythm guitars: Bias Amp Mark IIc+ (settings somewhat inspired by the James Hetfield "Crunchberries" setting

Lead Guitars: Mecurial Ultra 530 free version

Bass: TSE 808 and BOD

Cheers,
Doug

Update: The infection cleared up in my ears and I've made 3 more revisions since the first, the last one of those revisions was the one I liked the most. I've edited the guitars to get them tighter sounding and evened out the kick and snare in the mix, the bass tone is also tweaked abit from the first mix.

update 2: Did some more work with this set of multis, the guitars are un edited this time but I've tightened the toms and snare and tried to make he mix more beefy

.mp3    Some Thrashy Thrash Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 3.98 MB)

.mp3    Some Thrashy Thrash I Guess Mix 4.mp3 --  (Download: 4.01 MB)

.mp3    Some Thrashy Thrash I Guess Mix 5 Unedited.mp3 --  (Download: 4.02 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hello,

Very nice mix.
I think that the snare is too loud, mostly when it plays fast. With this huge snare, the kick seem quiet.
Love how the bass cuts through without being too present. The guitars are thrashy, so it's all good.
(08-08-2017, 03:44 PM)Tuyop Wrote: Hello,

Very nice mix.
I think that the snare is too loud, mostly when it plays fast. With this huge snare, the kick seem quiet.
Love how the bass cuts through without being too present. The guitars are thrashy, so it's all good.

Thanks man, you maybe right on the snare but from listening to Metallica's Kill em All record, it seems the the snare was more present than the kick. The kick is mostly thump and alittle attack, same with the Anthrax records from the 80s. I'm going to have another crack at this when my ear gets cleared up and probably am going to push the snare down abit. I'll be sure to take a listen to your mix when I get this ear cleared up. Smile

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Wow very nice and natural sound!! love Bias!!!
(09-08-2017, 02:04 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Thanks man, you maybe right on the snare but from listening to Metallica's Kill em All record, it seems the the snare was more present than the kick. The kick is mostly thump and alittle attack, same with the Anthrax records from the 80s. I'm going to have another crack at this when my ear gets cleared up and probably am going to push the snare down abit.
Yes, you're right. I think your kick is nice, not too clicky nor too loud or quiet. I wasn't saying it's bad to have snare more present than kick.

My point was that kick seem quiet in comparaison with the snare, a matter of balance, just a db or two to get out of snare. (I don't know if this sentence is right Big Grin forgive my bad english).

Sure your V2 will be a killer one!
(09-08-2017, 02:04 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: I'll be sure to take a listen to your mix when I get this ear cleared up. Smile
Thanks, my mix is pretty bad, though.

Good ear-recovery!
New Mix in the OP

Really dig the guitar tone in the first one very Het!
New Mix in op

(09-09-2017, 05:25 PM)M.U.Y.A Wrote: Really dig the guitar tone in the first one very Het!

Thanks man, Bias really has a cool simulation of the Mark IIc+ and it's great for this kindof stuff, I mean the IIc+ was Het's amp right up till the black album for a reason Big Grin. I did a new mix using the Diesel VH4 sim(another favorite of his and a staple of 90's and 00's era rock and metal), it gives it a tighter, more crushing vibe than the Mesa, I think a blend between both amps would be the perfect combo here tho

Cheers,
Doug

My first instinct was oh doesn't have that chainsaw buzz anymore but after listening to the whole track and going back and forth I found the diesel much more enjoyable to listen to just heaps more harmonic content there