Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More tips for mixing 'Pray For The Rain' in the Patrons Podcast
Featured in the July 2017 Cambridge-MT Patrons Podcast!

This month's episode includes lots of general-purpose mixing tips for Nerve 9's 'Pray For The Rain', including advice on how to process layered backing vocals and get the best out of long-tail delay and reverb effects. There's also an in-depth critique of jeffd42's version-three mix of that same production, plus there's a special feature on setting up and using the classic stereo-widener treatment I use on almost every mix. To access this podcast, please support ongoing development of this web site at Patreon.
(03-08-2017, 06:53 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: This month's episode includes lots of general-purpose mixing tips for Nerve 9's 'Pray For The Rain' ...There's also an in-depth critique of jeffd42's version-three mix of that same production.

Many thanks Mike for reviewing this mix in the Patron's podcast. I learned a lot from the process, and can highly recommend to any of the CMT contributors.

As I've changed a few plugin libraries since the initial mix, going back to the multi-tracks would have required redoing the entire mix. So, instead, I decided to tackle this as a good exercise in (re)mastering from the 2-track. The objective was a "power ballad" with a very intimate vocal and an adult-contemporary balance.

The results are attached. (Although they don't/can't address all the points made, I feel the result is definitively an improvement over the initial master.)

Would very much appreciate others' thoughts!

For reference, the mastering chain I ended up with was as follows:

LexConcertHall: Adding a tiny bit of hall reverb to generate additional detail and depth within the stereo image.

Slate Virtual Mix Rack: Brit 4K E mix bus. Small amount of Slate Revival.

Logic EQ: Sides only processing, to add width to 2K-5KHz and 300-500Hz.

Eiosis AirEQ: With a touch of Earth/Air, and slight boost centered on 244Hz and cut at 2870Hz. I started from the Mastering Balance preset.

Fabfilter Pro MB: With four bands. Particularly tightening below 140Hz, and controlling harshness in the 2K-7K range.

FabFilter ProL: Starting from the "Ballad - Clipped, Slow Release" preset. About 3-4db off on peaks. Aiming for -9 RMS DBFS during the loudest passages.

Cheers, Jeff

.mp3    PFTR Master.mp3 --  (Download: 12.64 MB)

All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42