Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maggie May
Talk about live and spill :-)
I didnt do muc but automate the lap steel levels here and there, a little eq and compression. I see I am again a bit to the dark side o sound, but thats how my old ears work. I liked the raw cue vocal better so thats what I used and speakin of vocals, compared to other mixes here they could be a bit louder. Anyway thats how I did it.

.mp3    Maggie May 2-16.mp3 --  (Download: 3.8 MB)

I like the dry balance in your mix. It suits my aging ears. I don't mind the dark sound at all. Most of the music I listen is from the period where the ultimate and annoying high end was non-existent. But you if you want to keep it dark, you might try to cut out also some low end. It could give nice and warm retro balance. And that way you might get an extra punch to mid areas.

With vocals you could try a short ambience reverb. That trick might bring the singer to the same room and space with other instruments without sounding as an "added reverb".
Good suggestions. I will try that out if I give it a go again. It may suit the song to give it an abbey road sound to the bass and drums, maybe your suggestion will work that way. Hearin it now I too miss a little reverb tail from the vocals. Thx for the ideas
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order