Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Perpetual Escape Into My Dreams
here's my mix
Hey mate ! I'm Florian, drummer of Perpetual Escape. Thank you for mixing our song Smile

Here's my critique for your mix.

- Drums: wow, they sound very punchy ! I really like this kind of sounding drums. Toms are fantasic Smile Now that's said, I think they take too much space and attention. It comes mostly from the kick which sound great, but is too loud.
The snare however sound thin compared to the rest of the kick. I think you can enhance it with some beefy sample.
I've noticed the ghost notes I play on the first guitar solo have totally disappeared. If it can be fine in busy choruses, in such parts where it's all about feelings and subtle moves, I believe it's important to keep this kind of details. If you used a sample for that second snare, some automation, or blending the original track to keep those ghost notes.

- Bass: I like the way it sounds on its own but it's unfortunetely drowned in the mix. It's totally masked by the kick. You have to make it work with the kick, using for example substractive EQ (by deciding which one is gonna be above the other). Having some nice distortion could help too.

- Guitars: their tone is totally fine, but they sound VERY distant, like they're drowned in reverb. The guitars are the most important instrument in this particular song. I really would like to hear them more, something more beefy that will sits well beside the drums and bass.
For example, in the first guitar solo, the drums is very loud and upfront while the lead guitar, which should be driving the whole part is behind. Another example is part 4 (the prog part): the rhythm guitars should emphasize the suffering of the child who's having a nightmare. Which such amount of reverb, the guitars aggressivity disappear.
So I would recommand you to review each part, and ask which guitar track is important, which one you will put in front...

- Keys: I like how they sound. They sit well in the mix without being too much audible.

- Vocals: they sound a bit aggressive in general, but they sound super loud. They are the loudest with drums. So they totally mask the guitars and the keys. They have kind of a pretty thin tone. You probably hi passed them too much ? Some parallel compression can help here, or simply revising their general EQ.
I like their FX. It's quite subtle and works very well in your mix.

Hope that helps Smile I'm looking forward to hearing your revised mix!

Cheers
Florian - Perpetual Escape