Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heart's Peripheral - Dags Mix
Hi all
Getting back into the swing of late night mixing with this floor-stomper Smile
Been ages since I have done any!

Let me know if there's too much 50Hz in the kick. It kind of sounds...meh...without it but I might have gone a dB or two overboard.
I think I have stopped the kick from being stomped on by the second bass synth in the chorus.
Let me know if there are problems. My ears aren't as attuned anymore.

Played with the structure a little and tried to create rise and falls with bringing fx in and out, HPF slides, dropping tracks completely during the breaks, distorting the crud out of everything in the middle 8....that sort of thing.
Good fun! Smile

Dags

.mp3    Heart\'s Peripheral - Dags Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.88 MB)

So many songs, so little time!
Hi,

i like your Mix. As far as i can hear theres not too much 50 Hz. Sounds nice on my Resolv 65a`s :-). Maybe the Guys with better Monitors can comment on that. Your rise and fall ideas really enhance this song....especially that middle 8 disto...nice. In my opinion this farty synth should be replaced with something "supersaw-ish"...just dont fits. Nice comeback...

Cheers
Great mix dags very clean sounding,can hear everything perfect.
Maybe a very tad HF on the master but that could just be me
Sounds fine on my sub - great mix!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Fantastic sounding mix Dags Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

*Phew* Thanks guys.
Very relieved to hear that I wasn't too far off the mark. It was 4am when I finally went to bed.
Hard to stay objective (let alone awake) at that time of the morning Wink

Takka yes, I hear what you're hearing I think. Is it mainly evident on the vocals? I think I have upped the HF content of the tape saturation plugin too far. Will remix at a later date to rein it in.

Dags
Dont loose sleep over it mate this is real real good mix
HF overburn brought back under control, tiny little bit of extra thump added to the kick and a bit more bottom end in the bass in the chorus to excite the intestines of those of you with subs in your studios, and a little bit of extra vocal processing gloss added at the start which I thought would be fun Smile
The weird loop in the lead out into the final chorus has also been rejigged to create a build before the drop.

Thanks again for your feedback people. I have missed you all these last 3 or 4 weeks!

Dags

.mp3    AM Contra - Heart\'s Peripheral (Dags mix final).mp3 --  (Download: 7.88 MB)

Sounds brilliant love the deep tight bass Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Listening to the latest mix (just above thedon's post).

The intro additions sound fantastic indeed. Also the first verse is balanced great. The vocals there might feel little middle-ful, but at least they shall be audible throughout the song across different listening environments. All the additions here and there (in the second verse too) feel very appropriate and give this mix a very professional feel.

However when the chorus hits it actually feels like it's coming across quieter than the verse. I'd say there's no problem adding even more some bottom end to the choruses (especially for the kick). I don't understand how this is happening but after multiple listens it actually sounds like this mix was compiled from multiple mixes and somebody pasted a rough mix (of some sort) for the choruses. We're losing THAT much payoff here.

One way to add some fullness to the choruses might be to refocus the high pad to other areas than the absolute middles (~1 kHz). That way it would also step away from the lead vocal's toes.

So all in all I feel this mix has the verses and the middle-8 set perfectly but the chorus is perhaps "not quite there yet". If I'm having troubles with getting the chorus bigger than the verse, I'm not afraid to grab the master fader.