Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great song - fun to work with
I had a go on this one, really ell recorded and ineresting to choose from the diffrent mics, great idea.
I couldnt help but be a bit creative ith the music itself, the guy plays well, but he plays a lot and in my book the silence speaks as well as the music. Its quite a diffrent feel, but I love it and I had fun doin it.

Critics are welcome, the electric guitar may be a bit too loud, but I think it gives a great live feel to the track. I always mix a bit to the dark side as thtats how my ears work.

Thank you for sharing the files and all the great info on this site.

This bein my first post I would like to say hello, I look forward to talkin to you guys.

Voelund

.mp3    Rise up singin 02 -lim.mp3 --  (Download: 5.53 MB)

Sounds great , I like the guitar upfront !
I like how you doubled the vocals in parts and would have probably copied some 0f your ideas if I had listened to this before mixing !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hey Voelund,

I'm working through listening through some tracks around here I've wanted to hear for a while. You are, of course, near the top of the list, considering you always take time to check out my mixes and provide valuable feedback.

Having listened to a number of you mixes and in conjunction with hearing your comments/suggestions regarding my own, I think I'm coming to a better understanding of some things which help me evaluate better on all levels.

First off, you often say you love what I do with drums, yet I find the natural sound of drums in your mixes, while still maintaining the ever necessary prominence, unbelievable refreshing. I'll teach you my cymbal trick if you'll learn me (southern boy comin' at ya') on the snare all-natural you've got kickin'.!

You have excellent special understanding, imo, and a depth and naturalness in your mixes I rarely hear.

With that said, you are also mind-bent on leaving dynamics alone, and I feel that many of your mixes could improve only in regards to an acceptance of the need for pounding the listener a bit more. This song is an exception to that rule, I might add. But for rock/alt/hard stuff, the listener, if he/she is the end-user of the mix product, is all that matters in terms of relaying the message/tone of a song. In today's world, that means making sure things are loud. I in no way condone over compression of anything, but more a realization that the balance between natural and modern necessity is one which we must embrace and figure out! lol

You do great stuff. Keep it up, thanks always for feedback on my stuff, and let me know if I'm way off base!

Later sir!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Whau - I mixed that so long ago and its cool gettin feedback on this, I really liked the song and couldnt wait to get it posted, didnt even hide the clicks from editin, they are overpowered most by the music though, but was worth waitin for. Thank you !
What I do with drums ? I try to take the mud out and keep impact as much as I can, Im not very good at mixin drums I think but maybe thats what makes them sound natural :-)
I remember on this one I used a lot of stillwells dynamic plugins and cool compressors.

Most of the time I use stock eq (Logic) to take out dirt, resonance and add a little peak at about 200, 1,2 and 5-6 on snare, 1176 from UA plugin and a Pulteq eq sometimes to thicken it.
Kick i use Logic eq to take out dirt and a Yamaha compressor if I use one (the 01x) sometimes a UA pulteq to thicken it.
Drumbus nearly alway have a Stillwell bad bus first, Stillwell bombardier compressor emulating tape and a fairlight UA set to take just a dB or 2. Love the fairlight on drums
Often I use a parallel buscompressor for kick and snare, 1176 really hittin it 8-15dB gain reduction and mixed very low under drumbus.
So nothin fancy - maybe the fact I usually dont boost highs like crazy does a thing too ...
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Wait. Stop the presses. You ADD at 200? That's unheard of in recording. On the other hand, it makes total sense.

Wow sir. I'm going to have to start there and work my way up to that mindset.

1,2,5,6 on snare are the norm. sometimes something up there in the over 10K range to help it air out and keep the overheads/hh in the game too. You mention you don't boost the highs much (or at all) though, so I wonder how the mix would translate to my care, a key listening end-user test area! lol

Would you mind giving me an idea of the kick drum settings on the compressor? I try a lot of things, but feel I could learn a bit more. What works isn't necessarily the Full Monty of knowledge!

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

The snares fundamental is most o the time around 200 :-)
I use a preset called kick and tweak it Big Grin Not afraid of usin presets and tweak. Or leave if I like it.
I´ll look up the details when Im done bouncing
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Ration 3:1
attck 9ms, often a bit longer
rrelease 58 ms
knee 2

Usually let it take 3-4 dB but use my ears.

see picture

Thumbnail(s)