Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Into My Dreams' kapu mix
Love the standard disco smile sound Wink if your mix don't broke all the car's speaker its good !!!!
for check the mix i've an old hifi sound, i was checking in the car before , i've to find a way to check again in the car without to print a cd Wink
(13-07-2017, 12:41 AM)dbfeenix Wrote: Love the standard disco smile sound [...]

Then there is always the option I've learned to like the 'too-much-bass-making-the-car-subwoofer-speaker-saturate-on-its-own' sound. ^_^

EDIT: Revised the master and updated file.
Listening to your latest mix sounds much cleaner and punchier with the low frequencies rolled off the kick .
Good job wit the drums like the effects .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Nice direction with the effects on part 2 (~3:30)! Love it!
(Basically just a ton of longish reverb and maybe a low level medium-log delay?)

Good kick sound. Guessing you augmented it? (Maybe a *tad* too much at 4 and 8 kHz.)

Man, I shoulda played around with the reverb some more before going to the delays! This is great! Gives it a really smooth, blended feel.

As I listened to this the first time, I kinda heard more Evanescence but I think you took a better direction.

I think you definitely have me outclassed here... I feel like I should pack up my plugins and go home. Wink
Out of curiosity, what would you guess was your time investment on this number?
Old West Audio
(16-07-2017, 01:57 AM)thedon Wrote: Listening to your [...]

Thanks! I've also been messing around with my LFE crossover and delay. Basically sending sine at crossover frequency to main speakers and LFE, then flip the LFE phase and adjusting the main speakers delay to get maximum cancellation by ear to get alignment right, and then adjust the final LFE level by ear with reference tracks. If you know a better method I'm open to all suggestions. ^_^
(16-07-2017, 09:38 AM)azwayne Wrote: Nice direction [...]

Never pack plugins, you keep working on it if you're not happy! Whenever I get the 'I-worked-like-a-dog-and-it-still-sounds-like-crap-in-comparison' I go listen some really old mixes I and others have made, just to hear my own progress and that the others weren't always that good. Already I'm thinking I should fix a ton of things. ^_^

It's hard to say how much time I've spent with this. I've done some other Perpetual Escape stuff here before, so I was already kind of familiar with the production, the sound of the tracks and multi-miced guitars, so I didn't have spend time and familiarize myself with the 'mood'. Basically my approach is 'rock band and some atmo-synth-effect-stuff'. Went through the tracks with live venue 'sound check' style. Ditched all other guitars but mic 4, which sounded familiar. Grouped similar sounding guitar tracks, and separated different sections on individual tracks inside the group to set 'static' panning instead of having to automate the LR balance of guitars. Tweaked guitar sounds in groups. Used relative level automation. Found two reverb presets from Space Designer with appropriate names: Long Dream 10 sec and Dream Hall 5 sec. Soaked pretty much everything with these. Also used some tempo synced delays with Delay Designer, as tempo map was kindly provided with the session. In the 'madness' part the backing vocals are almost completely wet with reverb and delay. But I think the time to get things 'ticking' was about a few hours, and after that comes the endless tweaking of stuff nobody else even notices, and it's still going on. ^_^
We are all notorious "tweakers", aren't we? Never quite satisfied even after it's been pressed and wrapped in cellophane. Smile

Thanks for the insight. I need to spend some time with longer reverb times. I don't have many reverb plugins (and need to spend time trying to better understand what makes a given room anyway) so tend most often to stick with the RVerb plugin using about a two and a quarter second plate (classic), tweaking the EQ, pre-delay, and diffusion to set the character to the track I'm working on. Sometimes I'll choose one of the other presets and play around for a while too.
Old West Audio
Hi Kapu I listened to your revised mix.

I really like the drum and bass sound!I think the guitars are a little low in the mix and the vocals and synths are too washed in reverb.
The overall freq balance is very good,dynamics also excellent.

Listened on my Yamaha HS7
(18-07-2017, 08:42 AM)Promhtheas Wrote: Hi Kapu [...]

Hi! I kind of like the reverbs. Did the daily revision, tweaked some things, and updated the master. Also thinking of doing a completely new version of this. Thanks for the feedback. ^_^
Hey Kapu Smile

Here's my feedback for your mix of Into My Dreams Smile

- Drums: wow, very nice punch ! I love the kick Smile Yeah you know I'm a heavy kick lover :p Careful however it's not too much distractive which is the case here. It's very hard to concentrate on the other instruments. The kick has a wonderful relationship with the bass.

- Bass: I really like this kind of bass, and it works really well with the kick. Maybe a little more distortion on it ?

- Keys: they sometimes sound both loud and distant, which is a bit disturbing. Most of them are here to support the guitars, so having them distant is fine. Some automation will do the trick to make sure they don't take the first role Wink

- Guitars: defintively not enough in front. Mosty because of the drums I would say. Most of the overdriven rhythm guitars have a nice separation and are at the right volume, but the leads are definitively too much behind the other instruments. They have to be in front, they express the feelings of the child. We must hear this poor little boy Wink

- Vocals: you tried to respect the lyrics I wrote using FX to create some atmosphere within the different parts. You had some cool ideas, especially in the second verse and the third part. Careful however to not make those FX too obvious.
During the 'great gig in the sky' part, I think that the beautiful backing vocals could be turned up of quite some dBs. They sound very distant.

Globally, this is a very pleasant mix to hear Smile I like the fact it's pretty punchy, although you need to work on the global balance of the drums in relationship with the other instruments, especially the guitars.

Looking forward to hearing your revisited mix Wink

Cheers
Florian - Perpetual Escape.