Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Alan Evans Trio - I'm Coming Home mix by D.F.
New mix, and add delicate funk delay. Regards Smile

.mp3    Alan Evans Trio - I\'m Coming Home mix by D.F..mp3 --  (Download: 7.83 MB)

Hey bro I really enjoyed listening to your mix of this song. I'm new to mixing and I'm trying to train my ear to listen to what others do. What I really enjoyed is the tight lock that you had on your reverb. i felt as if I was in the club watching him perform this song. Also I love how thick and clean the bass is. I think that you did a good job with that going forward as well. Overall its a good mix and I enjoyed it.

JaMario Wallace
Thank you for your comment. Smile
Best Regards
Hey Monolith,

very much like this mix.

But the Bass is a bit to loud and sits on top of the mix. The "live feel" gets a bit weakend by the heavy clean bass.

Maybe pull it back and cut a bit of the dep-lows and send the high-lows to a touch of room sound? Also a bit of saturation would be nice.

Just suggestions what I would try, dunno if it would actually sound good xD

Cheers;
lukas Angel
Hello
Thanks for comment. I wanted it to sound like that because it plays rhythmically and intermittently. He builds the rhythm of this song. If he played all the time I would rather take him off. I also think that it can be a bit too loud because I did not check on other speakers.
Regards Smile
Maybe a bit too pronounced bass (especially in the beginning), though I generally like that. Could try some automation to level the bass throught the mix. It sure have a cool club sound. Cheers!
When I hear you mix, I get the impression that the snare is the main/most important instrument here. While this might be true Big Grin, when paired with a vocal that is pushed so far back, it creates a weird effect. Also, I agree the bass is too loud, feels like a thick fence or wall guarding the vocalist from the audience. On the other hand, on the whole it makes the grove more laid-back, reminiscent of reggae, which I like a lot :-)
Thank you for opinion.

Returning to this after almost 3 years, maybe the bass is too loud. As for the snare drum as well. On the other hand, I always focus a lot on rhythm and bass, which is why you can find overinterpretations in my mixes. From what I remember, I wanted to bring this mix to a studio rather than concert sound.
Maybe someday I will come back to this mix and make it again Smile
Best Regards