Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet B_Suit You_mix Tommy Marcinek
AngelAngelAngel

Yo! Fun and more fun!!!! This song grew on me and so when THAT happens, I spend more time on a mix. I hope this cuts the mustard cause my ears are shot and I should have taken more breaks. But, here it is and right now it sounds pretty good. Hope you like it. Comments welcomed, as always. *Note: Did some small creative arranging and I sound-replaced the kick (and also had to eliminate some kick hits - appears like there were double triggers in the kick track here and there).

Sincerely,

Tom

------------- UPDATE ------------ NEW UPLOAD # 11

Hey all.....number 11 is my latest iteration of my mix of this song. I'm telling you, this song grows on you. It almost takes me back to my youth...concerts in Central Park, etc.

Anyway, after some suggestions I went back in and almost remixed the entire thing. I went for a deep kick with a prominent beater (as I always do...lol....ask Don), some high end sizzle (maybe too much), and some creative effects on some of the guitar parts, etc. Hope you enjoy......pushed the envelope a bit on this but on my monitors it sounds clear, punchy and thick.

Tom

.mp3    Suit You_8_M.mp3 --  (Download: 8.43 MB)

.mp3    Suit You_11_M.mp3 --  (Download: 8.43 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Yo Tommy,

Enjoyed listening to your version sounds good on my monitors ,Thinking some more low frequencies of the bass to fill up the low end a touch more ,or maybe less kick in low frequencies Not sure !, love the guitars in the intro and vocal effects Thinking the snare could be a touch more fuller or a touch less bottom rattle.
Of course the beater is way too loud lol Tonguel.

Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(12-06-2017, 10:34 AM)thedon Wrote: Yo Tommy,

Enjoyed listening to your version sounds good on my monitors ,Thinking some more low frequencies of the bass to fill up the low end a touch more ,or maybe less kick in low frequencies Not sure !, love the guitars in the intro and vocal effects Thinking the snare could be a touch more fuller or a touch less bottom rattle.
Of course the beater is way too loud lol Tonguel.

Well Done Big Grin

---------Don, thanks for having a listen and for your comments. I have to listen to your mix I think I saw your name there. Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into it some more. I did not use a reference so it doesn't surprise me that things aren't exactly right. And the beater is too loud LOL.

Peace,

Tom
Whooh!!! Head spin with the intro, Tom.

I like your mix, great effects on the vocal. Great sound, your usual high standard. The only issue for me was with the click sound associated with the bass, which is a bit prominent, from memory though, this was difficult to deal with.

Well Done.

(13-06-2017, 05:30 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Whooh!!! Head spin with the intro, Tom.

I like your mix, great effects on the vocal. Great sound, your usual high standard. The only issue for me was with the click sound associated with the bass, which is a bit prominent, from memory though, this was difficult to deal with.

Well Done.

---------

Wow Thanks for the props!!! I still have yet to listen to your mix and others....been so busy....will definitely do it cause I like give careful and not just cursory listening to others' mixes, and that takes time. I am definitely going back into this mix and try to fix some things. As for the bass, I kind of left the clicking in there because it tended to come through the mix a bit better....but other ways exist to do that. I'm going to try transient reduction on the bass and eq it differently and maybe some excitation, etc. We'll see how all that goes. Don suggested my mix was too thin....needed more low end....what say you?

Tom

Hi Tom liking your mix,nice intro well done
(13-06-2017, 03:22 PM)tjmtruth Wrote:

Well Done.

---------

Wow Thanks for the props!!! I still have yet to listen to your mix and others....been so busy....will definitely do it cause I like give careful and not just cursory listening to others' mixes, and that takes time. I am definitely going back into this mix and try to fix some things. As for the bass, I kind of left the clicking in there because it tended to come through the mix a bit better....but other ways exist to do that. I'm going to try transient reduction on the bass and eq it differently and maybe some excitation, etc. We'll see how all that goes. Don suggested my mix was too thin....needed more low end....what say you?

Tom

Don knows all about bass! I've heard that he's got a job with the government, as part of their earthquake early recognition system. He can pick up on tremors from any part of the globe with just his ears! Amazing. lol.
Seriously, yes I think Don has a point. The kick is low and heavy which is making the bass sound not so deep in respect. Maybe just a case of balancing things up a bit. Time for some experimenting I guess. I went for the other approach, made the bass guitar go deep and tried to keep the kick above the 70-80hz mark. I based this on some referencing I made.
I don't think it could be a "Tommy" mix without a big kick though.Smile
(14-06-2017, 12:28 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(13-06-2017, 03:22 PM)tjmtruth Wrote:

Well Done.

---------

Tom

Don knows all about bass! I've heard that he's got a job with the government, as part of their earthquake early recognition system. He can pick up on tremors from any part of the globe with just his ears! Amazing. lol.
Seriously, yes I think Don has a point. The kick is low and heavy which is making the bass sound not so deep in respect. Maybe just a case of balancing things up a bit. Time for some experimenting I guess. I went for the other approach, made the bass guitar go deep and tried to keep the kick above the 70-80hz mark. I based this on some referencing I made.
I don't think it could be a "Tommy" mix without a big kick though.Smile

-------------------
LOL....the comments about Don....had me on the floor! Thanks for your input and your approach. I have some time now to listen to some other's mixes including yours so I'll see you in the comments there. I am about to upload an updated mix. This one I made some changes including going for a more spread out mix, more sizzle in the high end, but I did go for the low end kick dominating but I think I managed to get the bass to work well with it. I did cut that bass with a pretty steep low cut slope with a "natural phase" setting using Fabfilter eq, which I just love. So, we'll see if it holds up to scrutiny. I went kinda crazy with some effects on the guitars in sections and otherwise just had some creative fun. See ya sooooooooon,

Tom

I listened to mix 11. Here's what I hear.
-It does feel pretty bright. Everything seems to fighting for that mid/upper midrange area. Normally in this song I'm a fan of the mid in the bass but I think it gets in the way of the kick. I think one or the other should have that spot in this mix. Maybe a cut in the bass guitar in the area of where the click is in the kick might make them work together a bit more.
-It's really effect heavy, which can be cool but I think it kind of takes the piss bit from the song. I feel like the song is trying to make a strong statement and the vocal effects make it feel a bit comical. I don't know if I were the artist if that would be the image of the song I'd want out there. I suppose it's a matter of taste but I'm just trying to come at it from a different direction. That said it's cool to push the envelope and try some creative things things.

I think those are the only real points that jump out at me. Hope that helps.
(14-06-2017, 04:29 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I listened to mix 11. Here's what I hear.
-It does feel pretty bright. Everything seems to fighting for that mid/upper midrange area. Normally in this song I'm a fan of the mid in the bass but I think it gets in the way of the kick. I think one or the other should have that spot in this mix. Maybe a cut in the bass guitar in the area of where the click is in the kick might make them work together a bit more.
-It's really effect heavy, which can be cool but I think it kind of takes the piss bit from the song. I feel like the song is trying to make a strong statement and the vocal effects make it feel a bit comical. I don't know if I were the artist if that would be the image of the song I'd want out there. I suppose it's a matter of taste but I'm just trying to come at it from a different direction. That said it's cool to push the envelope and try some creative things things.

I think those are the only real points that jump out at me. Hope that helps.

----------
Roy thanks for your thoughtful comments I really appreciate it. That's why I said the song is a real challenge I think everybody agrees. When I started off with this song I thought it was going to be easy but it definitely is not. On my monitors it sounds pretty good so I think maybe I need to recalibrate them to the room. I mean the mix sounds better to me in my headphones then on my monitors and that is a real problem. I'm responding from my phone now I don't know if you put a mix up yourself but if you did I'll try and check it out later today or tomorrow. Thanks again for your input.

Tom