Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rough mix
A rough two day mix. Notice. Mixed on headphones as usual.

.mp3    aeternum1master_test.mp3 --  (Download: 14.09 MB)

Nice! The snare could use more smack (no pun intended). It sure has a grand feel. Something fishy about drums. Kick is good, but overheads / cymbals feel a bit weird. The tension building part before the grande finale sounds great. Maybe change the roles of guitars and bass, as it feels a bit unconventinal to hear more bass than guitars. Good work!
(08-06-2017, 11:31 PM)kapu Wrote: Nice! The snare could use more smack (no pun intended). It sure has a grand feel. Something fishy about drums. Kick is good, but overheads / cymbals feel a bit weird. The tension building part before the grande finale sounds great. Maybe change the roles of guitars and bass, as it feels a bit unconventinal to hear more bass than guitars. Good work!

Well thanks a lot. Agreed, snare could be brighter to match up with the kick and overheads and it's a bit washed out in order to not to overpower everything else but still could be heard sufficiently enough. Made the kick drum a bit less clicky and softer sounding, otherwise it may draw the attention away from vocal parts.
Toms might not be loud enough. Cymbals sound louder on the right side after second half of the song. Some left side delay on ride cymbal may sound a bit too weird.
Most guitars play around 100 Hz, while bass is being high passed on 150 Hz.
Distorted guitars aren't prominent due to particularly busy nature of given composition and to allow the choir being heard a bit better, and as we know distorted guitars can be quite fatiguing depending on their tone. Had to cut out some parts and leave the tremolo picking one a bit more emphasized as it plays the main role in this genre.

Hey there,

The guitars are really buried in the mix at a lot of spots - I understand your reasoning for this, though, but I still think they could come up in the mix a bit. When I recorded and mixed the track, I did some automation in spots to accentuate what I wanted to hear at certain times - we always have to do stuff like this in busy mixes. (Especially the blast beat section where the snare and ride cymbal just take over the entire mix.) If you didn't know, I actually did a full walkthrough of how I recorded and mixed the track here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...xt_z6XZ9ss

Sounds like also that some of the guitars were in DI format and were not amped. The bass guitar is overpowering as well. I know you mixed on headphones - which pair? You may consider also listening to mixes on various headphones, to include just a regular pair of earbuds. It's a good way as well to hear how your mix is coming along.

It's good to see that my multitracks are helping people out. Keep working at it and you'll only improve from here!

(12-10-2017, 08:54 AM)ChernobylStudios Wrote: Hey there,

The guitars are really buried in the mix at a lot of spots - I understand your reasoning for this, though, but I still think they could come up in the mix a bit. When I recorded and mixed the track, I did some automation in spots to accentuate what I wanted to hear at certain times - we always have to do stuff like this in busy mixes. (Especially the blast beat section where the snare and ride cymbal just take over the entire mix.) If you didn't know, I actually did a full walkthrough of how I recorded and mixed the track here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...xt_z6XZ9ss

Agreed, guitars could have been a bit thicker sounding with longer natural wide panned delay (double tracking) to emphasize them, but since we have choir in there, it might be better to leave them a bit thinner in order to not to disrupt the weight balance.

(12-10-2017, 08:54 AM)ChernobylStudios Wrote: Sounds like also that some of the guitars were in DI format and were not amped. The bass guitar is overpowering as well. I know you mixed on headphones - which pair? You may consider also listening to mixes on various headphones, to include just a regular pair of earbuds. It's a good way as well to hear how your mix is coming along.

Cheap Sennheiser HD 415. Might sound worse on small headphones and speakers due to some unsmoothed peaks in the spectrum of the mix (around 215-250 Hz) . Bass comes from electric guitars mainly (around 100-15 Hz), while leaving massive dip around 80 Hz, and then some peaks on 35-55Hz coming from kick drum.

(12-10-2017, 08:54 AM)ChernobylStudios Wrote: It's good to see that my multitracks are helping people out. Keep working at it and you'll only improve from here!

Thanks a lot, hopefully will try to improve this version so that it can be more listenable.