Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eliza Jane My MIX
Hello guys! A new nice song to mix! What a great pleasure! I hope you like my try! Cheers!! Smile

.mp3    Eliza Jane.mp3 --  (Download: 11.75 MB)

.mp3    Eliza Jane Final.mp3 --  (Download: 11.75 MB)

I like it a lot. It's very smooth and well balanced. Very nice.
I'm missing the cymbals to just add some hi end spice to the mix. It just needs those crashes, especially at the top of sections. Plus, they would just fit thematically in the song.
I want a little more vocal too but I think it may be because it feels like there's a lot going on in the same range as the vocal. I think the vocals could be brightened a bit more to pull them out of the mix and into the spotlight and add some excitement.

Other than that there's some very minor things that jumped out at me that aren't a big deal but stand out because the mix is so nice and smooth. Namely, the chopped vocal breath at the top of the second verse and the tom and kick that pop out going into the final chorus. Nothing big but they stand out.

Overall it sounds great but just a little restrained and could use a little more emotion from the mix to support the emotion in song.
Good job.
(07-06-2017, 02:33 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I like it a lot. It's very smooth and well balanced. Very nice.
I'm missing the cymbals to just add some hi end spice to the mix. It just needs those crashes, especially at the top of sections. Plus, they would just fit thematically in the song.
I want a little more vocal too but I think it may be because it feels like there's a lot going on in the same range as the vocal. I think the vocals could be brightened a bit more to pull them out of the mix and into the spotlight and add some excitement.

Other than that there's some very minor things that jumped out at me that aren't a big deal but stand out because the mix is so nice and smooth. Namely, the chopped vocal breath at the top of the second verse and the tom and kick that pop out going into the final chorus. Nothing big but they stand out.

Overall it sounds great but just a little restrained and could use a little more emotion from the mix to support the emotion in song.
Good job.

Hello Roy!
Thanks for your time and your advice!! The truth is that the version I uploaded was without any editing or automation! Just levels, panning, eq, compression and effects. I will post another one right now (Eliza Jane Final) with full automation and some final tunning due to your suggestions! Thanks a lot! Cheers!!
My first thought was the mix is a bit too compressed. The natural dynamics of the parts seem too constrained and maybe too over-produced? The quality of your sounds are excellent but I'd like to hear it breathe more. For a highly produced rendition it has merit and sounds full and punchy, especially the snare. I feel less-is-more with this song.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]