Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer - HB Mix
Found this mix way more tricky than i thought it would be - mainly 'cos of the arrangement having only one main guitar part. Even recorded my own additional guitar part but figured that was cheating.

Threw my hands in the air three times out of frustration and reset faders/removed plug-ins. Its never a good sign when every track has 5 plug-ins.

Reasonably happy with this version. Its certainly the best one i came up with.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version added below, 1.4. More Punch!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version added below, 1.5. Reduce vocal harshness

.mp3    Outer_HB Mix 1.3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.38 MB)

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
I good only give it a quick listen. It feels really good. I think it could use a bit more kick and snare. The toms and cymbals are fine but it could use that extra punch. The vocals may be a little on top of the mix and that takes away some of the power of the song.

Ultimately I feel like this song really needs to work it's dynamics to be really keep the listener's interest. Right now it feels a hair restrained.

That said it sounds great and all my issues are minor and have as much to do with the arrangement of the song as anything else.

Good job.
Hey Roy,

(05-06-2017, 03:59 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I good only give it a quick listen. It feels really good. I think it could use a bit more kick and snare. The toms and cymbals are fine but it could use that extra punch. The vocals may be a little on top of the mix and that takes away some of the power of the song.

I was listening to "The Strokes" as reference material so yeah, snare and kick down a bit, vox up a bit was my reference.

(05-06-2017, 03:59 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Ultimately I feel like this song really needs to work it's dynamics to be really keep the listener's interest. Right now it feels a hair restrained.

That said it sounds great and all my issues are minor and have as much to do with the arrangement of the song as anything else.

Good job.

Thanks for listening Smile
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

Hey, buddy!

Just heard your version and I must add that your mix provides me with a big vibe of LARGENESS.

I really liked your approach on that when mixing.

Did you automate the volume of your reverbs or delays? I feel that some parts could definitely be more upfront or punchy since it is, in my ears, a classic, low tempo punk rock song.

I always love the punchiness of punk rock songs and therefore I think it can define your mix even more.

Besides that? you took a very challenging mix and made it more interesting to the listener, which this is why what we live for right? Smile
Nice smooth overall sound and classy highs! You could add some sort of effect to wash that sort lead guitar fill in, though. Does this include your own additional guitar part? Would love to hear it, and certainly wouldn't think it was cheating. ^_^
(05-06-2017, 03:59 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I think it could use a bit more kick and snare.

On 2nd thoughts i think you could be right Roy.....certainly with the snare. I think it could safely come up 3-6dB without overpowering the vox. I'll need to double check on headphones.

Not as sold on bringing up kick just yet as that may mean bringing up the bass too and then we're into a whole different balance but I'll give it a try

(05-06-2017, 06:45 PM)FisheRecords Wrote: Hey, buddy!

Just heard your version and I must add that your mix provides me with a big vibe of LARGENESS.

I really liked your approach on that when mixing.

Did you automate the volume of your reverbs or delays? I feel that some parts could definitely be more upfront or punchy since it is, in my ears, a classic, low tempo punk rock song.

I always love the punchiness of punk rock songs and therefore I think it can define your mix even more.

Besides that? you took a very challenging mix and made it more interesting to the listener, which this is why what we live for right? Smile

Hey Etai, thanks for listening. Glad u enjoyed the mix.

Yup, i nearly always have some sort of automation on my FX, e.g. varying the send levels in verses vs choruses, or changing up delay times etc section by section just to build some subtle dynamic variation.

I think that you could be right about punch.....i could bring the snare up a tad , maybe 3dB...maybe more through automation. i had a quick test and it sounded OK....

(06-06-2017, 12:22 AM)kapu Wrote: Nice smooth overall sound and classy highs! You could add some sort of effect to wash that sort lead guitar fill in, though. Does this include your own additional guitar part? Would love to hear it, and certainly wouldn't think it was cheating. ^_^
Hey Kapu,

thanks for listening man, appreciate your comments. Good idea with those fills (EG2). Just has delay and verb at the moment but something a bit more spacey like a flange/dynamic filter/auto pan could work well.

I deleted my guitar part - it was a single take and a wee bit sloppy. It did wonders for the balance between left and right though.

cheers

Revised mix, version, 1.4 - more punch!

1. Automated smidge more kick level plus subtle eq
2. Automated 2-6 dB more snare plus subtle eq

.mp3    Outer_HB Mix 1.4.mp3 --  (Download: 8.38 MB)

(07-06-2017, 03:24 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Revised mix, [...]

Great! Energy building up at around 2-3k with guitars? Drums sound very punchy and ambient in a right way. If you're thinking about cleaning the sound more, then the infamous vocal nastiness will probably become noticeable too. ^_^