Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difficult balancing act
What I really wanted to be able to achieve with this mix was a dense and slightly dirty sound which I find to be a more modern take on the genre. Getting the low end nice and thick and giving the whole thing weight and impact was one of my key goals.

I referenced music from various eras of the genre, tried to work out what I liked about each type of sound and then tried to integrate that into my final mix. However, because I like to keep things sounding as organic as possible by using as much of the live recorded sound as possible, the raw tracks themselves significantly informed the final overall sound.

I found the trickiest thing to handle in the mix to be the guitars. I found horrible, harsh frequencies coming through (in the 4k to 6k region if memory serves) no matter which amp sim software I tried on it. The recorded amp signals were completely unusable, in my opinion, due to just too much gain being used on the amps. Apart from the harsh frequencies, balancing the guitar tone to fill the gap between the bass guitar and the cymbals was a challenge owing to the style of playing which by nature made it sound very thin. I think I got there in the end though.

I also added an intro by re-using a choir synth part from elsewhere in the song as I felt that the song started way too abruptly.

Cheers
-Vinay

.mp3    Bannockburn_Final_New.mp3 --  (Download: 12.18 MB)

Hey =)

What came to my head while listening:
-I like the intro you aded.
-Overall it sounds good !
-I think you achieved your goals.

Take care !
Mixing with a dt770 for now..
(16-10-2017, 10:47 AM)Jimdolorian Wrote: Hey =)

What came to my head while listening:
-I like the intro you aded.
-Overall it sounds good !
-I think you achieved your goals.

Take care !

Thanks for listening and sending your feedback! I really appreciate it and I'm glad that you like my take on this song :-)
Love it Smile