Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodfire: 'Outer _' kapu mix
(07-06-2017, 11:45 AM)Lethan Wrote: Nice and powerful, [...]

Yeah, vocal reverb does sound kind of cheap. Should probably do something about it too. Thanks for feedback! ^_^
Hey kapu, your mixes are usually very solid, this one sounds a bit overcooked to me. There are some really nice punchy tones, but overall it sounds very squashed and in particular there seems to be some sort of resonance in the vocals that sounds fatiguing to my ears. In fact, perhaps even slightly easing up on the limiter could make a big difference to this mix to help it breathe and to feel the dynamic aggressive sound of the band.
(08-06-2017, 11:37 AM)mick2015 Wrote: Hey kapu, [...]

I agree with vocal nastiness. I just haven't figured out how to get proper sound out of the track. It has the same kind of quality the guitar track 3 has, which can be quite easily handled with filtering, as it is a one shot type of filling. But dullifying the lead vocal track would make it draw less attention. Anyways, tried new approach, took some 'artistic' liberties, and tried some things to handle the vocal. Also eased up the main bus processing. I also realized that the song name is Outer Space and not Outer Underscore, so I tried to give it some galactic qualities. Hope it's better now. Thanks for listening and feedback. Uploaded the alternative version to opening post. ^_^
Wow, Great stuff Kapu Smile)
(08-06-2017, 09:36 PM)Lethan Wrote: Wow, Great [...]

Thanks! Nice to know it worked for you. And there I was already preparing myself for a bad poop weather about shifting chords from major to minor and sus without a proper preparing cadence. 'Why? -Because it's forbidden!' ^_^
(08-06-2017, 09:00 PM)kapu Wrote:
(08-06-2017, 11:37 AM)mick2015 Wrote: Hey kapu, [...]

I agree with vocal nastiness. I just haven't figured out how to get proper sound out of the track. It has the same kind of quality the guitar track 3 has, which can be quite easily handled with filtering, as it is a one shot type of filling. But dullifying the lead vocal track would make it draw less attention. Anyways, tried new approach, took some 'artistic' liberties, and tried some things to handle the vocal. Also eased up the main bus processing. I also realized that the song name is Outer Space and not Outer Underscore, so I tried to give it some galactic qualities. Hope it's better now. Thanks for listening and feedback. Uploaded the alternative version to opening post. ^_^

Your 'outer space' mix is super cool haha. Nice work and irrespective of the creative aspect, there's some noticeable tonal improvements to my ears. You mentioned on my thread that you seem to have an issue with a 2khz masking with the guitars. There's no question there's some masking going on there somewhere, however I think with a song like this the guitars are integral to the song, so you need to build around that. All of your mixes with this track sound like you're trying to push the guitars aside and make room for everything else. To calibrate your ears for something like this, I suggest listening to anything produced by Steve Albini. It's dirty, avant-garde, unorthodox recording and it always works somehow.
(09-06-2017, 01:34 PM)mick2015 Wrote: Your 'outer space' mix [...]

Thanks for thoughts and feedback. I am somewhat familiar with Albini, well at least I think In Utero is Nirvanas best sounding album. But can't help thinking that the sound feels a bit outdated at the same time. Still, Scentless Apprentice has been highly influental song for me, and it sure has those screaming upper mids, which I would today consider 'faulty'. Anyway, tried albinizing the alternative version furthermore and just updated the file. ^_^
Great solid mix. your drums really do kick ass. I would boost a bit in the mids esp. the guitars but that just a taste thing really. Alot of really heavy stuff these days is really hollowed out. This is cool to listen to thoughSmile
(03-07-2017, 12:25 PM)Nos Wrote: Great solid mix. [...]

Thanks! Yes, the overall frequency balance sounds a bit mid scooped, but in the end I think it kind of fits the song. Although I think was hoping the vocals and keyboards would fill that area more. ^_^
I really enjoyed the bite of the guitars in your first mix. And the kick has a great punchy, rock and roll sound. The second mix is very creative. Nice additions, and the vocal distortion is cool, too. Good work!