Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My way to Boogie
I think I spent too much time on this. On my first listens to the tracks I said, hey, these are nice. But when you really got into it, there seemed to be a bunch of post processing on the tracks, especially the bass mics which are heavily gated to limit the piano leakage. Those things ended up have some consequence in my mix. However, nothing was so egregious that lots of good things are available in these tracks.

The energy of the singer was the key for me and I tried to match her energy in the ensemble mix. Having listened to many of the mixes here, I think my rendition of her vocals is mid pack. Many did an outstanding job on her vocals.

I look forward to comments and input.

PS: As this is a trio, does anyone know what instrument the singer is playing?

Own Way to Boogie - First Mix
4/24/2017

.mp3    Own Way To Boogie - First Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.72 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(25-04-2017, 05:00 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: PS: As this is a trio, does anyone know what instrument the singer is playing?

She's only singing -- she's a guest vocalist with the trio.

With headphones on, the vocal sounds pretty good and well suited to the song. For me mixing this I was looking for a little extra body in the vocal to give it some weight against the piano and to balance out the edginess, which I found using some // compression primed with some tube amp warmth. I think your approach to this has worked well. It sits well within the stage and still has a nice forwardness to it.

Great mix of a great song. Check them out on Youtube. Quite entertaining.Big Grin
(25-04-2017, 06:35 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(25-04-2017, 05:00 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: PS: As this is a trio, does anyone know what instrument the singer is playing?

She's only singing -- she's a guest vocalist with the trio.

Thanks.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(25-04-2017, 01:07 PM)Dangerous Wrote: With headphones on, the vocal sounds pretty good and well suited to the song. For me mixing this I was looking for a little extra body in the vocal to give it some weight against the piano and to balance out the edginess, which I found using some // compression primed with some tube amp warmth. I think your approach to this has worked well. It sits well within the stage and still has a nice forwardness to it.

Great mix of a great song. Check them out on Youtube. Quite entertaining.Big Grin

Thanks, Dave. I did an awful lot of compression on the vocal and was concerned that it got squashed too much. I did an over-all compression with a new Waves plugin but then needed to do some broad de-essing on top opf that.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]