Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
jtbStudio mix
These kind of songs are always deceptively difficult - there're only a few tracks, how hard could it be?! - but I always find them trickier than the mega-sized pop or rock projects, since minor errors in a big mix will be somewhat hidden, but quiet, intimate songs like these, even the tiniest little misjudgement is very audible.

I'm perhaps in a better position than others, having listened to a lot of jazz (although I'm completely lost at sea when I try to mix rap or hip-hop Undecided), and dragging up some tracks from my collection for reference, suggested a mix a touch brighter than some of the ones here.

I do mostly live recordings, so I'm more than used to dealing with bleed, but this song was tricky, since everything's so exposed. The drums have far too much room tone for my taste, but it is what it is. I usually try to record things like this as closely as possible since (1) I'm usually in a fairly crappy sounding space Undecided and (2) if I want to add a bit of space, it can be done, but you can't remove it if there's too much.

As always, handling the bass was tricky, although the jazz tone, and how the instrument is supposed to sit in the mix, is completely different to the pop/rock sound I'm used to dealing with. I added a bit of distortion & saturation to bring out the upper tones, and punched some EQ holes in the other tracks for it poke through.

Overall, I'm moderately happy with this mix, although I don't think anyone will be hiring to do more Undecided It really needs a bit more time spent on it, in particular, more automation.

.mp3    What Is This Thing Called Love (jtbStudio).mp3 --  (Download: 10.22 MB)

Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com