Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help... You and Me and the Radio
Looking for a critique...
I do LOVE these sessions! Thanks

.mp3    HumanRadio_YouAndMeAndTheRadio MX0.mp3 --  (Download: 5.86 MB)

Hi,i dont like the vox fx it sounds a bit like his singing in the toilet pan.
This mix is also very thin sounding.Maybe try to get the kick snare and bass a bit thicker
and a tad of reverb or delay on the vox
The first thing that pops out to me is the reverb on the lead vocal. To me it's to long creating too much distance.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Its just vile,sorry David but it just is
Thanks guys! I needed the kick with some feedback.
My mix philosophy is "use what's there" (frequencies captured in the recording itself) and then give them what they "want". So I truly agree with more thickness, I'll assume you meant more 400-600Hz. With an exemption of a few filters, I did not eq anything except the drums and vox. Those mics are great and seemed to capture the "aire" very well so I let that speak more than usual in the mix.
The reverb... I agree. When I decided to put this mix in the genre "Modern Southern Rock", I went and listened to bands like the Black keys, Modest Mouse, Kings of Leon ect. There was so many different ways reverb was used on the vocals, I might of got carried away being creative.
So many people I play stuff for say, "that's cool..." but I really don't learn anything that way!
Hi, David.

There's a very full range of frequencies in the tracks themselves, but, unfortunately, they've not translated over in this particular mix very well at all. I don't mean to sound harsh, but try not to 'emulate' a particular style / genre and use that as the guiding light to direct you towards what a mix 'should' sound like. Your mix will 'evolve' quite nicely on its own - and your own creative input will will make sure that happens over time as your experience grows. Put your own 'stamp' on the mix. It all takes time - and we're all still learning no matter how long we've been doing this stuff.

I 'know' this mix too and would suggest starting with the drums and bass to get the foundation and solidity of the song - and then work (or 'hang') the instrumentation and vocals on that solid structure you've just created. It's a relatively easy song to work on. Don't feel disheartened if your own mix doesn't sound as 'strong' or sound 'thicker' - or 'louder' than some others at this stage. Making a mix 'louder' is easy these days - but the problem is that 'bad' mixes do not become good ones because they're perceivably louder. Getting the initial mix properly balanced and sounding good should come way before putting anything on the master buss to create that loudness. It will just reveal how bad a mix is too.

Putting too much reverb on anything will just 'smear' the sound and make it harder to distinguish one instument from another. Once you've done that, EQ becomes pretty useless. I can guarantee that when you can mix 'dry' (without reverb), it makes it a whole lot easier to use EQ. In time you'll learn just how little reverb is needed and your mixes will take on a new clarity.

I hope this helps a bit :o)
Thanks Robert!
At least it stood out... just not in a good way!
I will begin a new take on it, based on everyone's advice.

Good advice from Robert,your get there.