Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flames - Dave Mix
Here's my first pass at it starting today.

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames.mp3 --  (Download: 12.79 MB)

I think the vocals are too loud and kick is weak which I am correcting. I am not sure if I am happy with the high end (sounds like too much) and the cymbals.
2nd version

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames - Mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.79 MB)

Hey Dave ,listening to version 1 and 2 the bottom end with the kick and bass sounds fuller in version 2 ,
I like the top end of the drums in version 1 .
I find this short clip inspiring !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmMLZ3qQjTQ

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks thedon

That is correct. For some reason EQ wasn't cutting it for the kicks. I had to use Waves rbass at 55hz to get some more thump. I did add some de-essing on the drum bus but perhaps its too much. I also added some on the vocals which was really light.
Hey man,

I like some aspects of your first mix and some of your second. My biggest complaint is that the guitar is too loud in version 2, but I agree with Don about the top end of your drums from the first mix. I think when you drop the guitar 1's a bit things will sit a bit better.

I think your snare could come up, as well as your OH's. Maybe the whole kit minus the kick could be brought up to match where the kick is.

You have nice tones in general and you're on the right path!

Keep it up!
Draper
Here's the 3rd mix. I went ahead and removed the de-esser from the drums. I beefed up the low end a little more and used some side chaining between the bass and kick. I did turn down the bass a tad to account for the beefing up.

EDIT: just saw your post lowech6, give this one a listen and tell me if things seem better?

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames - Mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.98 MB)

(22-03-2017, 09:37 PM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey man,

I like some aspects of your first mix and some of your second. My biggest complaint is that the guitar is too loud in version 2, but I agree with Don about the top end of your drums from the first mix. I think when you drop the guitar 1's a bit things will sit a bit better.

I think your snare could come up, as well as your OH's. Maybe the whole kit minus the kick could be brought up to match where the kick is.

You have nice tones in general and you're on the right path!

Keep it up!
Draper

This is Mix3 but with your recommendations.

.mp3    The Black Crown - Flames - Mix4.mp3 --  (Download: 12.98 MB)