Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decypher - Unseen Mix by Nick kapp
Hi! This is my first post on here, and wanted to get some actual feedback on my mix. This was mixed in Garageband on my Macbook Air (Probably switching to a windows machine with some more horsepower) and I used no samples in my mixing, only freeware plugins and the plugins that came with the DAW. The track is mastered to around 12.4 peak RMS, if that's valuable in any way. Tell me what you think!

.mp3    Decypher-Unseen Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.72 MB)

I think you did great on the drums, bass and vocals, the guitars, however are pretty weak IMHO. They sound really scooped and tinny with not quite enough lows, did you use the original tracks or did you use an amp sim on the DI´s? If you want to improve drums I´d recommend replacing the snare with a sample, with this amount of bleed from the hihat it´s practically impossible to make it sound good.

Thanks for the input! I'm using the original guitar tracks. I scrapped mic 2 because I had already gotten what I wanted out of mic 1 with a bit of processing. I'm compressing the guitars with a 4:1 ratio, 10.5 ms attack, -14 db threshold and 3 db of gain. Shaping wise, I'm EQing with a Pultec emulation and cutting at 500 hz with a value of 1 (basically nothing, just making room for other instruments). I'm then just cutting out whistling and shrill frequencies in the highs and brightening it up with a high shelf. I'm also using a multi-band compressor for controlling the sub-100 hz on palm mutes. I actually found that I was having quite a bit of trouble getting the guitars bright enough to where I wanted them, so unless my monitoring system is screwed up (Which I doubt, since I mix on Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones that I also listen to all my music on media on, so I have a good idea of how they sound in regards to music) it may just come down to personal taste as to how bright it should be. Could you suggest anything EQ wise that would make the guitars sound better? Thanks.

P.S. Regarding the snare, I found that I could get it to work by messing with the gate settings in Garage Band. I also had to delete a single ghost note in the song because it was triggering my gate but it didn't close fast enough, letting the transient of the next hi-hat hit get through, which was super annoying. If I had access to some kind of triggering software, I would probably blend in a sample just for some extra stick attack, as I found the snare sounded a bit flat in that regard.
Disclaimer : I'm not a professional mixer, just an amateur trying to improve my skills and help the community. So don't take my remarks too seriously Smile
Listening/working environment : Eve Audio SC205 in a "half" treated home studio / Yamaha HS50M in a standard room / DT880 / MDR7509HD

Hey,

The overhall is nice, the drum sounds good, no remarks. The guitars are a bit thin and "lonely" (?) haha I don't know how to say differently, they don't have the power I expect from this kind of track. Vocal is good and bass... I don't know but it doesn't bother me. Sorry this is not a very technical review but this is what I felt after finishing my own mix Smile

Regards,

TiPa
Hello Smile,

What came to my head while listening:
-I agree on the guitars sounding tinny :p.
-Too much verb on the voice for my taste.
-There is an annoying resonance in the low end.
-Overall it sounds good but maybe a bit cloudy.

Take care Smile
Mixing with a dt770 for now..
(30-03-2017, 04:05 AM)Jimdolorian Wrote: -There is an annoying resonance in the low end.

I think that might be the bass guitar! I don't know, I'll probably check it out sometime this week, just to see what it is.
Due to all the comments about the guitar's I'll probably do some tweaks to 'em, maybe boost some throaty mids and see how that works. I can see (or hear, rather) the cloudiness comment, as it almost feels like the entire mix is shrouded by an absurd amount of presence that happened on the Master bus. I'll probably put up a v2 of this mix sometime next week, as I'm swamped with schoolwork right now. Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate them!