Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who I AM_Mix Vinnie
Hi Everyone,

Thought I try my hand with this tune. Found difficulty taming the upper mid range. I liked all mixes posted on this thread, found the majority were dry ambience wise, which I guess suites allot of the country styles these days. Liked the way the background harmony vocals were push up on your mix Chris93 and how the Kick drum and bass on Ian's mix were more upfront. Liked the warmth in your mix uzilevi.

Welcome any feedback, cheers!

Vinnie

.mp3    Who I Am.mp3 --  (Download: 2.84 MB)

I'm sorry, Vinnie,

that I missed your mix... mainly because I like this song so much :-) But also because of the more 'meaty' direction you're steering it. It sounds plausible to me. I'll listen to it a bit closer. My first impressions are the very tasteful guitar (could be a tad bit softer, though), how the piano adds texture in the interlude starting at roughly 1:50... and a lack of highs. With a +3 dB high shelf at around 3,5 kHz it sounded better in my environment.

Looking forward to revisit this song... :-)

Marc
(22-07-2012, 07:15 PM)Vinnie Wrote: Hi Everyone,

Thought I try my hand with this tune. Found difficulty taming the upper mid range. I liked all mixes posted on this thread, found the majority were dry ambience wise, which I guess suites allot of the country styles these days. Liked the way the background harmony vocals were push up on your mix Chris93 and how the Kick drum and bass on Ian's mix were more upfront. Liked the warmth in your mix uzilevi.

Welcome any feedback, cheers!

Vinnie

OK, something doesn't sound right here...

The LEAD VOCAL sounds pretty good, nice presence and tone, but just about everything else feels mushy and mashed together. I think it's a combination of instruments not being panned wide enough and way too much boost in the midrange between about 900 and 3000 Hz.

I'm guessing that because it's consistent with this "boxy" quality I'm hearing in both the instrument backing and the backing vocal (and I know, from doing this mix myself, that the backing vocal was the same quality as the lead originally); boosting too much in the midrange tends to give you that cardboardy kind of sound.

So, I think you're on the right track with the lead vocal but everything else needs to be looked at. Here's what I suggest:

First, leave the settings you have on the lead vocal but for ALL other tracks drop ALL EQ, reverb, compression, panning etc. Just set them all completely dry and flat as if you'd just imported them.

Now, listen to the drum overheads, try to determine where each drum is in the stereo image, then pan the positions of each of the close mics as close as you can get them to those positions; that should give you a good stereo balance on the drums.

Now look at the individual instrument tracks and imagine in your mind's eye a stage where each of those tracks represents a performer; make sure your performers are spread comfortably on your mental "stage." Wink Now, adjust the pan on each track until each instrument is in the place where you picture that performer in your mind.

Now try running the whole mix without applying ANY processing to ANY of the remaining tracks, no EQ, no compression, no reverb, nothing. Given the quality of these tracks (these were a Telefunken microphone demo) that may be all you'll need to do, other than balancing the instruments against the vocal.

If it sounds a bit too flat, try using the reverb you're using for the vocal as a send effect and put ALL the tracks through it, as if they were all on the same stage with the vocalist. Again, just try to keep the reverb effect subtle. It should be almost subliminal; it's just there to give some "presence."

If you decide to try this, I'd love to hear the results. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince