Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Hand mixes!
The following is both a mix I did and an attempt at a master. I really like the sound of up-front, compressed acoustic guitars, so I put them at the center of the mix (well panned to each side, but you get the idea). Had a bit of trouble with balancing the vocals, but I think it turned out really well. Cool song, too!

EDIT: Here is a second mix where I cut out the intro, and I think it has a much better balance of everything. Enjoy!

.mp3    upper hand m.mp3 --  (Download: 10.46 MB)

.mp3    Upper Hand m 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.62 MB)

That one's quite different indeed, quite aggressively so really. Also quite bright...

Not sure I agree with the over-compressed acoustics, they just sound well... over-compressed to me.
The snare is also sounding very smashed and not very believable.
The accent guitar effect is fun, I quite like it.
The vocals are very up front and they kind of work, although a little bit less presence could have worked as well.
I'm really missing the bgvs, but the horns are punchy so this helps.
The ending should really be a fade out, but you're not the first to have kept it this way, which doesn't make too much sense to me, but there you go...

The v2 has the start cut off, not sure if that was intentional?
What the v2 does that is not the best idea is to bring out the honk of the vocal, it would really need to get EQ-ed better IMHO.

Overall a good effort (v1 is better actually) and some original choices that could have been better judged, but a good job! Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here