Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flames: poor mans mix
This song had super clean and well produced tracks with the exception of the bass guitar. I tried a couple new techniques (to me) to help clean up the low end.

Usually I build up the tracks starting with the drums and vocals. This time I started with the vocals and automated the guitars listening only to guitar/vocals. Then I automated the vocals around the automated guitar tracks, added the rest of the tracks to taste and automated drums after a balance was achieved.

There are a couple parts that stick out to me after bouncing: Guitars a bit too loud on the first verse, Vocals have a midrange frequency that seems to be peeking through the mix. However, I took the dive and decided that living with my mistakes will help teach good habits.

I rate my mix 6.5/10

Edit:

I have since added a second edit. I fixed the automation issues noted above, added an eq cut on the vocal bus: -2.8dB @ 3k Q=2. I also listed to other users bass tracks and redid the Bass guitar.

.mp3    flames.mp3 --  (Download: 12.8 MB)

.mp3    flames_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.8 MB)

It should be noted I don't have any master tracks effects on here, so crank it up!
Sounds pretty good ,you are right about the bass that's the main I can hear needs a touch more to fill up the bottom end.
A touch more top end smack on snare cutting through a touch more would sound awesome.
Here is a sample of what I came up with on the bass by no means perfect ,try adding it to your mix it would be an interesting experiment to see if it fits.

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    Flames bass-DI.mp3 --  (Download: 12.8 MB)

.mp3    Flames bass amp.mp3 --  (Download: 12.8 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(05-03-2017, 03:56 AM)thedon Wrote: Sounds pretty good ,you are right about the bass that's the main I can hear needs a touch more to fill up the bottom end.
A touch more top end smack on snare cutting through a touch more would sound awesome.
Here is a sample of what I came up with on the bass by no means perfect ,try adding it to your mix it would be an interesting experiment to see if it fits.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks for the awesome responses. I downloaded those nasty saturation plugins that you linked in your "Flames" mix thread. My new bass sound doesn't have quite as much High end as yours does, but it does really help to hear the tracks soloed. Do you have any other plugins off of VST4FREE.com that you would highly recommend?
(05-03-2017, 10:29 PM)adgreen Wrote:
(05-03-2017, 03:56 AM)thedon Wrote: Sounds pretty good ,you are right about the bass that's the main I can hear needs a touch more to fill up the bottom end.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks for the awesome responses. I downloaded those nasty saturation plugins that you linked in your "Flames" mix thread. My new bass sound doesn't have quite as much High end as yours does, but it does really help to hear the tracks soloed. Do you have any other plugins off of VST4FREE.com that you would highly recommend?
Cool I'm happy to hear those free plugins helped as can hear a huge difference with version 2 ,after the intro at 0.20 there is a subtle but noticeable loss of power I think might be the intro guitars need to come down a touch ? Also can hear some frequencies on my monitors and headphones which may need some taming yourself or others may not agree.
Here is a quick dodgy master of your version 2 done on HD600's with waves NX using green day as a reference Blush ,done a dip around 600hz and a gentle boost around 1k and 5k + - 3db ) and some other subtle 1db adjustments here and there and your mix parallel compressed and there ran through some compressors ,can post a pic if you are interested
I will post a list of other free plugins I think are awesome some may already be on mikes list of free plugins.

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    Flame2-adgreen-master .mp3 --  (Download: 12.83 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sounds like some volume automation at the first verse? The overall volume drops a bit much to me. Bass is much improved
(06-03-2017, 07:58 PM)chuck moe Wrote: Sounds like some volume automation at the first verse? The overall volume drops a bit much to me. Bass is much improved

Yes, I've noticed that too. I wanted the lead vocals to take up most of the space in the mix there.

I guess my options for fixing the noticeable difference in power would be:
- Reduce overall power of all tracks during intro (so it keeps building up)
- Reduce overall power of guitars during intro
- scoop guitars during first verse to clear space for vocals
- ???
- profit
Quote:Cool I'm happy to hear those free plugins helped as can hear a huge difference with version 2 ,after the intro at 0.20 there is a subtle but noticeable loss of power I think might be the intro guitars need to come down a touch ? Also can hear some frequencies on my monitors and headphones which may need some taming yourself or others may not agree.
Here is a quick dodgy master of your version 2 done on HD600's with waves NX using green day as a reference Blush ,done a dip around 600hz and a gentle boost around 1k and 5k + - 3db ) and some other subtle 1db adjustments here and there and your mix parallel compressed and there ran through some compressors ,can post a pic if you are interested
I will post a list of other free plugins I think are awesome some may already be on mikes list of free plugins.

Cheers Big Grin

Hey TheDon,
I wasn't really sure what to do with that verse section, so I automated the guitars down to make sure the vocals could sit up front. It didn't sound natural to me raising the talking Vrs1 vocals to the same level as the final chorus.

listening on my headphones I'm noticing I'm lacking clarity on the vocals especially in the master. I'm going to try a new effects chain when I get home to see if I can improve that. Any tips?