Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Radio: You & Me & The Radio -- Knz
Somewhat quick mix, could do some more automation and "creative sweetening". Might have also made it a bit too scooped/soft, dunno - at least it doesn't blow your ears away no matter how loud you listen =)

Knz

EDIT: Threw in a new version with nothing else but broad mid range boost, I think the original was indeed too scooped.

.mp3    You_&_Me_&_Radio_Knz.mp3 --  (Download: 11.17 MB)

.mp3    You_&_Me_&_Radio_Knz_moremids.mp3 --  (Download: 11.17 MB)

It feels good. My biggest question is about low end. I'm guessing it might be a little bass heavy but I can't be sure on the earbuds.
The vocal needs something but I honestly don't know what. It's a little 'grainy'. The level feels ok but it needs to be a little bigger somehow. Maybe it's just the contrast with the bass.
I'm not a fan of the backing vocal sound. It feels a little artificial. I get the intent to make them sound big but the reverb feels "separate" from the rest of the mix.

There's a weird hissing sound on the left that is a little distracting but I can't figure out what it's from. At about 1:28. I assume it has some thing to do with the vocal.

This is a slightly different version of the song than the one I mixed. I guess they changed it. I suppose I should download this version to mix but I prefer the vocal tracks in the one I originally downloaded.

Overall it sounds good. Any issues I have with it as a listener are minor. It sounds like a mix to me.
Good job.
(25-02-2017, 03:43 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It feels good. My biggest question is about low end. I'm guessing it might be a little bass heavy but I can't be sure on the earbuds.
The vocal needs something but I honestly don't know what. It's a little 'grainy'. The level feels ok but it needs to be a little bigger somehow. Maybe it's just the contrast with the bass.
I'm not a fan of the backing vocal sound. It feels a little artificial. I get the intent to make them sound big but the reverb feels "separate" from the rest of the mix.

There's a weird hissing sound on the left that is a little distracting but I can't figure out what it's from. At about 1:28. I assume it has some thing to do with the vocal.

This is a slightly different version of the song than the one I mixed. I guess they changed it. I suppose I should download this version to mix but I prefer the vocal tracks in the one I originally downloaded.

Overall it sounds good. Any issues I have with it as a listener are minor. It sounds like a mix to me.
Good job.

Hey thanks for listening again =)

Yea, I think it was a bit too scooped. Mixed this on headphones, which seems to cause me wanting to make everything too "nice" sounding heh. Also the reverb on BVs might be a bit too much, also due to headphones. Am finding it really hard to build proper 3d depth with phones.

Vocal differences might be because of the different mic tracks provided. I think the singer just sang it through X many times, once per every microphone.

I mixed this earlier this morning in roughly 5 hours or so on my laptop (spending boring saturday) and didn't really bother to go through all the tracks one by one - just wanted to have something to fool around with. I chose the U47 one, pretty much blindly heh. Might not have been the best choice, even sound quality wise. The raw U47 vocal track seems to sound really muffled and "nosey" compared to some other variations.

Mixing on headphones is tough. I've gotten used to it but it's taken awhile. There are pluses and minuses.

Yeah. That might account for the differences. Usually on the Telefunken tracks they do takes through all the mics at once. I don't think I have all the tracks saved. I picked one and dumped the rest to save space. Oh well.

If one has to pic a track at random a U47 track seems like a good first choice. I forget which one I used. Either the AK47II or the AR51.