Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Red Mix
Eager to know what you guys think. I haven't done any mix bus compression, so it isn't very loud. Hope that's not a problem for now.

.mp3    Colour Me Red 21stFeb2017.mp3 --  (Download: 7.84 MB)

Cool version you are in the right track I like the snare dynamics ( maybe needs some taming of some boxy frequencies around 145hz area which are jumping out of the mix ?) I think your cool mix would sound more dynamic if other instruments also especially the kick and bass could have more dynamics for example in the intro the kick has a lot of deep bass but missing some punch and beater.
I found getting the drums pumping first by muting the room and overheads and rolling off the loose bottom end of the kick say around 30hz and experimenting with scooping out between 150-3k just leaving the bottom punch and beater and unmute the room and overheads one at a time and hear if they are adding to the punch or not as maybe out of phase ,sometimes just hi pass filtering them to tame some boxy room frequencies when in phase will leave more room for the bass .
Apart from hearing some stereo reverb maybe panning the guitars away from the centre could make a subtle but big difference in the overall stereo image.
Just some thoughts while having a little listen

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Decided to mix it again. More upfront.

.mp3    Colour Me Red 22ndFeb2017 More Upfront Comp.mp3 --  (Download: 7.84 MB)

(22-02-2017, 10:00 AM)thedon Wrote: Cool version you are in the right track I like the snare dynamics ( maybe needs some taming of some boxy frequencies around 145hz area which are jumping out of the mix ?) I think your cool mix would sound more dynamic if other instruments also especially the kick and bass could have more dynamics for example in the intro the kick has a lot of deep bass but missing some punch and beater.
I found getting the drums pumping first by muting the room and overheads and rolling off the loose bottom end of the kick say around 30hz and experimenting with scooping out between 150-3k just leaving the bottom punch and beater and unmute the room and overheads one at a time and hear if they are adding to the punch or not as maybe out of phase ,sometimes just hi pass filtering them to tame some boxy room frequencies when in phase will leave more room for the bass .
Apart from hearing some stereo reverb maybe panning the guitars away from the centre could make a subtle but big difference in the overall stereo image.

Cheers Big Grin
Hey! thanks for the reply. I particularly am using this song to practice balancing vocals against the rest of the mix. Please have a listen to the other mix I've uploaded.
(22-02-2017, 10:00 AM)thedon Wrote: Cool version you are in the right track I like the snare dynamics ( maybe needs some taming of some boxy frequencies around 145hz area which are jumping out of the mix ?) I think your cool mix would sound more dynamic if other instruments also especially the kick and bass could have more dynamics for example in the intro the kick has a lot of deep bass but missing some punch and beater.

Cheers Big Grin
My latest mix. Would be great if you'd have a listen.

.mp3    Colour Me Red 1stMarch More Upfront Mix_2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.84 MB)

Listening to mix 2 ,the kick has more punch now ,can hear low frequency competing for space maybe play around with rolling off everything below 200h on the electric , acoustic guitars and Rhodes to leave some room for the bass , I find it a balancing act and slowly adjusting frequency up or down so the mid bass is not to thin or competing for space which may need notching out resonant or clashing frequencies .
Other listeners will have some have some good ideas as I'm just guessing.
The vocals could come up a touch.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts