Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ronnie J. Why don't You Don't You Stay mix
Hello, this is my latest mix after long break...
For me this music something Bob Dylan and Guns'n'Roses, I hope that Ronnie Jones read it as compliment Smile
Does anyone here know the mixing engineer of Bob Dylans Not Dark Yet?

.mp3    rj-wdys.mp3 --  (Download: 7.4 MB)

.mp3    rj-wdys-v2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.61 MB)

(17-02-2017, 10:52 PM)wod4 Wrote: Hello, this is my latest mix after long break...
For me this music something Bob Dylan and Guns'n'Roses, I hope that Ronnie Jones read it as compliment Smile
Does anyone here know the mixing engineer of Bob Dylans Not Dark Yet?

I'm pretty sure that Daniel Lanois did that record.
Sounds cool. A couple of things jump out at me.
-The vocal is loud but I think I hear what you're trying to do with it. It could work. I think the band could have a fuller sound to balance out the louder vocal. More low end and reverb or delay to fill in the spaces between the sparse arrangement of instruments.
-The organ is pretty loud
-The background vocals feel unclear. Panning them might help. Or if you want to keep them in the middle then just use a couple. using just one of the female background vocals could be interesting.

I think you're onto something with this mix. The balances can be tweaked a little and it could have more atmosphere but the song could work as a track on Dylan's "Time Out of Mind".
Roy thanks for answer,
In newer mix I tried to fix problems you pointed but it's becoming very hard mix for me.

Roy, are you sure that about Daniel Lanois, I have digged about this grammy award winning album in net, I think that mix engineer was a Mark Howard.
You might be right about Mark Howard. Daniel Lanois produced the record and I just assumed that he mixed it too.
If the mix is getting hard then sometimes it makes sense to walk away from it for a little bit. Come back to it with fresh ears.

In V2:
-The lead guitar is loud. It's not so loud in the chorus but in the intro it feels too loud. It could come back a little.
-I like the Rhodes. It's dark but it's a cool sound.
-The organ still feels a little loud but but better than it was.
-The effects on the background vocals are distracting from the part. They should support the lead but the effect puts the focus on them
-I like the panning of the solo.

I get the feeling that there's a sound you're aiming for but not getting there. Try hearing it in your head first. Don't fight the mix and don't let it fight you. If that makes sense.