Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Radio SpedeMix
Hello. Here's my mix from this nice little tune. This was pretty quick one, took about three hours to do, with tiny amount of tweaking the next day (added some low end). This one ended up sounding quite like something produced by Rick Rubin: Dry and rough.

I know this is little impolite to complain, but there's been surprisingly lot of problems in these recent Telefunken multitrack session (either overcompressed or weirdly clipped raw tracks), which in my opinion defeats the purpose of showcasing these great mics.

.m4a    Human_Radio_MixOff2.m4a --  (Download: 4.54 MB)

Completely agree about some of the Telefunken sessions. It really is a shame not show these brilliant microphones in their best possible light. I think there was also a problem with the kick drum itself - rather than the mic. The mic was just telling it like it was.

I've read your comments on my own mix. Interesting viewpoint - and your points noted. I think we mix songs the way 'we' like to hear them and put 'our' stamp on them. I think Walter Becker and Chris Lord Alge and probably others said something like that a l o n g time ago. Thanks for your comments though. I'm going to check out my room again. It's quite possible there's a little problem that needs dealing with.

Now then... your own mix here (according to my personal preferences)... and I hope you don't mind me saying, but it's a bit 'loud' and grainy in the mid-range and the thick vocal processing is revealing some problems... particularly at .... "close" to the horizon. I just feel the pursuit of loudness has killed the dynamic range to some extent in this song, which, unfortunately, induces a degree of listening fatigue (on my ears). Again, this is just personal preference... and who am I to be the judge of what anyone does. I always reserve the right to be wrong. Please take with a pinch of salt anything I write here :o)
Yeah, that "unify" approach is just one among many.

I usually put the limiter to a place where I think it's not compromising the music quality too much (since it's always compromising a little anyway). Sometimes I might push it too far inadvertently. So here's a "not_limited" version of the same mix just in case.

.m4a    Human_Radio_MixOff2_NotLimited.m4a --  (Download: 4.54 MB)

Now that's a whole lot better to me Smile

Like Bob Katz says..... it's the listener who should be in control of the volume knob.

I can turn this mix up, get more dynamics - and enjoy the whole interpretation. It didn't hurt me a bit this time. Like I mentioned earlier.... it's all personal preferences..."WE" mixing people hear lots of different material and often absolutely cringe when hearing some commercial released songs - knowing what we would (or wouldn't) have done. It's all very subjective. Even my wife [now] understands the whole 'loudness' thing I'm glad to say. Particularly for the less experienced in mixing.... it's doing them no favours 'slamming' the master buss with an L2 - or whatever. Time and time again, they fall into that hole. Louder is not 'better' (as we know only too well). Sure, things can sound 'loud' and sound good within their genre and that's great. That's what it's all about.... sounding good.... I hope Big Grin

Just out of curiosity.... I really didn't like the bands choice of vocal performance for the song. I found one track I liked (and although it was not 'perfect), I stuck with it. What I do like is some of the 'other' lines I've heard in other mixes. I may just rebuild the vocals again from this new perspective.
Very nice and powerful mix Spede!I would use a bit more fx bat thats my approach.
I like the mix.

The only thing is that i would chance is something about the vocal balance in some sections, maybe some level automation or adding some fx to make it blend more in the parts it gets disconnected, .

I struggled with this in my mix too. There is something about the original vocal performance that doesnt seems right to me.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
(20-06-2013, 09:14 AM)Spede Wrote: I know this is little impolite to complain, but there's been surprisingly lot of problems in these recent Telefunken multitrack session (either overcompressed or weirdly clipped raw tracks), which in my opinion defeats the purpose of showcasing these great mics.

The mix engineer always has the right to complain -- it's part of the job description! Big Grin

Seriously, though, you'd be surprised how many pro projects have dodgy recordings on them, simply because of time restrictions and the (justifiable) need to prioritise performance over technicalities. I also think these recordings were done as part of a masterclass, so that would have been an extra head-bang for the engineer, I imagine.

(21-06-2013, 07:02 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(20-06-2013, 09:14 AM)Spede Wrote: I know this is little impolite to complain, but there's been surprisingly lot of problems in these recent Telefunken multitrack session (either overcompressed or weirdly clipped raw tracks), which in my opinion defeats the purpose of showcasing these great mics.

The mix engineer always has the right to complain -- it's part of the job description! Big Grin

Seriously, though, you'd be surprised how many pro projects have dodgy recordings on them, simply because of time restrictions and the (justifiable) need to prioritise performance over technicalities. I also think these recordings were done as part of a masterclass, so that would have been an extra head-bang for the engineer, I imagine.

Maybe we have to use the gain adjustment on every track!Its like a disease, the time pass by and recordings becoming hotter and hotter...for some reason.
Spede,

Very solid mix, I think this is one of the best mixes I heard of this song!
This one made me (literally)move/groove with the music, which for me is always a simple indicator if a mix is working Smile

Besides making a technically excellent mix, importantly, you made a clear contrast between the verses and the chorus (something I was not content with in my mix Smile), like the (automated?) guitars and the drums (more parallel?). I think many mixers totally forget about this!

The points that I can think of are a matter of taste (I would add just a bit more of delay/reverb at some points).

Well-done!

RJ

(20-06-2013, 09:14 AM)Spede Wrote: Hello. Here's my mix from this nice little tune. This was pretty quick one, took about three hours to do, with tiny amount of tweaking the next day (added some low end). This one ended up sounding quite like something produced by Rick Rubin: Dry and rough.

I know this is little impolite to complain, but there's been surprisingly lot of problems in these recent Telefunken multitrack session (either overcompressed or weirdly clipped raw tracks), which in my opinion defeats the purpose of showcasing these great mics.