Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Sail Away-RoyMatthews Mix
Here's my attempt at Sail Away. I wanted to make it feel a little more organic and I'm not sure I succeeded but I think it feels OK. It might be a little bright.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Edit: Feb 6, 2016-Added a slightly tweaked version. Details below.

.mp3    Sail Away-Mix2a1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.32 MB)

.mp3    Sail Away-Mix2a2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.33 MB)

"There were too many of us, we had access to too much equipment, too much money, and little by little we went insane."
Sounds super solid my end with head phones on. I think your organic sound works well. I also think the bottom end your've created is great, solid but relaxed and carries the groove nicely.
I reckon the piano just at the intro could be a bit fuller with some eq automation. I guess it's carrying the mix eq right through from the start. I'm not too sure on the modulated effects of the harmony vocals, but thats a subjective comment. You'll have your reasons for implementing that one . I would also probably like to hear some more lead guitar. This for me seems to be a common issue across a lot of mixes, I guess it's a difficult one to bring forward and balance because of it's darker tone. Perhaps it's not an issue after all.Huh

Confident Mix. Well Done.Smile

Thanks Dave.

It's funny, you nailed everything I was unsure about. Yeah, the piano is essentially the eq for the rest of the mix. I hated the digital sound of the piano so I tried a bunch of stuff to get it to sit right but it does sound weak in the intro. I convinced myself that it works because it makes the rest of the song sound bigger when the band came in. I'll try automating the eq on it at the beginning. The modulated vocals were a last minute thought. I'll listen to it again and see how I feel about them after a day away from them. It might be too distracting. As far as the lead guitar I did have it significantly louder and became more unsure about it's level and brought it back in the mix. But I did have it louder and liked it louder. I'll bring it back up.

Thanks again for listening.
Cheers.
"There were too many of us, we had access to too much equipment, too much money, and little by little we went insane."
I added a revision mix (mix2a2) based on Dave's notes and tweaking mix bus.
Have you tweaked the vocal modulation thingy in 2a2? I really like it the second time round. The effect is still quite evident but sounds more in control and reined in. It adds a beautiful touch of flare. You've won me over.
I did change it. There are/were a few vocal effects going on. There was a modulation, short (8ms?) delay on some the bgvs that I removed. The Lead vocal may have a stereo spread effect as part of it's other effects but it's mild. The Lead DT comes in and out and it has another short, slappy delay and it comes in and out. I think that's all but I could be forgetting.

Glad you liked it.
Cheers.