Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix of Flesh and Bone
This is my mix of Flesh and bone,.

.mp3    Mixdown (3).mp3 --  (Download: 12.58 MB)

Hello jpgreer.I found that the guitar lacks hi end, end definition, some more eq would be nice.Nice full vocals bat they need some deesing!Good warm tone overall!
Not a fan of the chorusing on the guitar. This raises an interesting question, how far to deviate from the raw tracks when mixing? As the artist, I definitely intended this song to be organic, so the chorus guitar is out of place. But does your choice make it a better song?

I am curious, did you listen to the original track, or did you go straight from the stems?

On a sonic note, the accordion is pretty high in the mix and pokes out. I'd play with some cuts on a high-shelf eq, something to smear the sound a bit more.

I love pedal steel, so I'd be down to hear that higher in the mix. But what do I know. :-.)
The chorusing effect was created by taking the first acoustic track and doubling it, then mixing guitar 2 on the right with a hall reverb. I agree It could of stood to have a bit more of the low end cut off the guitars to define them a bit more. As for the bass, I was having a bit of trouble getting it to sit in the mix because I went with just the direct track, and should have also used one of the amped tracks along side it. Part of the reason I went with chorusing on the guitars is because the noise floor on the source recordings was pretty high, and simply pushing up the high end also would increase the noise in the track. Bringing the accordian down in the mix is an easy fix. Just bring it down a db or 2 in the mix would bring it down. The approach on the pedal steel was doing one of the things a mix engineer should never do, using noise reduction, but again it was in an attempt to bring down the noise in the source recording.